Storing herbs

dissn_it

I have tried different ways to store herbs and I prefer to freeze them in ice cube trays with water. It just seems to keep the flavor of the herb much better than drying them. I will also take any twigs off of basil and infuse some olive oil with them. How do you store your herbs?

xenon

I don't have a freezer.
The herbs I store are those that can handle slow drying. That rules basil out. I generally cut a big swath of herbs and tie them with a sting. I hang them upstairs where they dry at a warm temperature over a few days. The other way is to reuse large brown paper bags filled with herbs and pin them with a peg to a rope indoors.

shaunche

I have tried freezing herbs in the past and it destroyed the structure and flavour of the herb. I grow most of the herbs I eat, but if I buy herbs I store them in the fridge. The only herbs I bother to dry are bay leaf and oregano.

rayne

I do what Xenon does. I get a big bunch of oregano or sage together, tie up with a string and hang in the carport until dry. I have heard of drying in the microwave. I think I will try that and see what happens.

I usually dry my herbs out when they need to be picked. Then I can crumble them when I need to use them and not have to worry about them going bad on me. However, I usually cold frame my herbs and keep them around all year.