Steam Treatments

wildcherry

I used to give my face a steam treatment by boiling a pan of water and draping a towel over my head. I haven't used this in a while, but I'm going to start again. Are there herbs I can add to the water to help detoxify and improve my skin? Are there any good recommendations?

Myrrh

I have done steam facial treatments at home for a couple of times. Steam helps to open the skin pores. I haven't tried adding herbs or drops of essential oils though, but it sounds interesting. I did a little research, and some suggest mint or lavender because of their anti-microbial properties.

GlassSlipper

I don't do this per se but I do take really hot showers and do essentially the same thing. It really helps to get all the dirt out of your pores. My face feels so much better afterwards.

Carolynn

I would think you might want to use something with an anti-bacterial quality to it. You might want to try teatree oil, rosemary, lavender (that would smell nice), or peppermint.

Hyacinth

When I don't feel like spending my extra bucks for a facial at the spa, I content myself with doing steam facial treatment at home. I have yet to try putting essential oil in the water. I'm thinking about rose hip because there are a lot of claims about its anti-aging and skin renewal properties.

lettuce

I prefer a nice cup of tea, a hot shower, or a physical stream room for my steam activities. I have heard that incorporating oils enhances the experience, though - you're right.

SoftRain

Adding essential oils to the water is a great idea. If it were me, I'd probably use rose hip, as Hyacinth suggested. I will soon need that for fine lines anyway, but it's good for the skin at any age.

MarBell

I've always used rose hip, with steam, whether it's been in a bath, a steam closet or over a pan of hot water. It really does leave me feeling cleaner than with a normal hot shower or bath.

konstantina

You can add slices of orange and rose petals. They both work great. You can choose your product depending on the result you want. Oranges will brighten your skin, chamomile and sage can clean your pores, mint is detoxifying. I use orange ost of the times, vitamin C and acids really work for me