Soy - Good or Not?

2Nature

I read all kinds of things for soy and how bad it is if taken over years. But how true are these statements? And in particular I heard it is more harmful to men than women? Is there any truth to this?

wanderingherb

2Nature, very good question. I have been trying to sort this out also. With all the flurry it is hard to discern the truth in all of it.

hunysukle

Soy is good for you. It is high in protein and makes a great substitute for meat. I just watched a segment about soy on the living well network. Soy can be used in so many dishes. It is very good for your body and prevents cancer. The Asians have been eating soy for many, many years because of it nutrients. That's why Asians are less likely to develop cancer than Americans. I am a female and I can't wait to start incorporating soy in my diet..

UmiNoor

Reporting in the current issue of the scientific journal Hormones and Behavior, the researchers found that in male monkeys, "long-term consumption of a diet rich in soy isoflavones can have marked influences on patterns of aggression and social behavior." Isoflavones are a naturally occurring plant estrogen in soy protein.
Source : medicalnewstoday.com/releases/7842.php

I guess soy may not prove to be that good for men because of the estrogen that is in soy protein. Perhaps moderation is needed here. And the monkeys that they tested probably didn't eat anything else except soy so we may assume that if soy is taken in moderation or with other food then it won't have an adverse effect on the behavior of men.

SoftRain

Soy has a phytoestrogenic effect which can be harmful if ingested in large amounts. Since soy is in just about everything (read your labels!) it can be easy to overeat without realizing it. I eat tofu and tempeh on occasion but not very often, and I do not drink soy milk or eat soy cheese.

wanderingherb

Soy is good for you. It is high in protein and makes a great substitute for meat. I just watched a segment about soy on the living well network. Soy can be used in so many dishes. It is very good for your body and prevents cancer. The Asians have been eating soy for many, many years because of it nutrients. That's why Asians are less likely to develop cancer than Americans. I am a female and I can't wait to start incorporating soy in my diet..
This simply is not true. Cancer runs amok everywhere. So don't for a moment think its an ethnic and diet issue.

Also, soy does NOT contain the same protein chain as meat. That has been established.

wanderingherb

My understanding is tempah is a very good form of soy. I think its the process in which makes soy good or bad. Such as candle wax, much better than parrafin, not as expensive as beeswax which doesn't hold scent.
Soy milk processed food. Soy beans, sprouted not just the beans, better.
Its very complex.

Oh and the studies, :). it all depends on who's backing the studies, the population, the amount, and whether or not a study has been skewed by those trying to prove their research statement.

lettuce

I thought that the final ruling is that soy does more good than harm? Anything can be dangerous in excessive quantities, so I wouldn't let a few negative reports scare you away.

melaniedupris

Source : medicalnewstoday.com/releases/7842.php

I guess soy may not prove to be that good for men because of the estrogen that is in soy protein. Perhaps moderation is needed here. And the monkeys that they tested probably didn't eat anything else except soy so we may assume that if soy is taken in moderation or with other food then it won't have an adverse effect on the behavior of men.
This is what I have heard as well. Apparantly, soy is supposed to help push estrogen levels in males higher. I know this to be true because it does the same in women, and women who have Fibroids (due to excess Estrogen) are urged off of Soy.

2Nature

I would normally use whey protein powder but when I'm fasting I can't so my substitute is wheat protein. I don't want to use soy versions because I'm still not sure it is smart to do so.

Soy is good. It can be made in so many forms. As a drink. As a food. Plus it takes on flavors easily. What bad is excessive consumption, but then again, that applies to everything.

angelstone

Benefits of Soy- Facts

I have recently read that there was a study conducted in recent times have unveiled the secret benefits of soy. Amazingly, this particular food ingredient seems to have a healing effect for many body disorders. Soy is considered to be one of nature’s gifts to humanity in treating heart related problems and other body ailments. It helps in reducing heart risks, keeping your bones strong, and cancer prevention. Soy has been known to be helpful in the prevention of prostate cancer prevalent in men.

READ the labels. Too much of anything is bad, and this goes out for soy as well. One thing I am 101% sure about soy milk (because I'm lactose intolerant) is that it contains more protein and fiber than cow's milk. :)

I would love to have more information about soy. I just made my mother switch to soy milk instead of cow's milk because a friend said soy was healthier. I guess it should be taken in moderation. But is one glass a day moderate?

shaunche

Soy is certainly not good for you. Soy contains high amounts of phytoestrogens, known to be dangerous to health. Soy contains phytates which block the abosorption of minerals, and has an array of other antinutrients. Soy will also suppress your thyroid.

EthanWang

Of course its good..But there is a possible that you cant use it along with certain kind of food or drink. i heard several combinations are very dangerous so its the best to get some information first!

stefano13

Soya proteins contain isoflavones that can mimic a weak estrogenic effect.However the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) says that a daily diet containing 25 grams of soy protein may reduce the risk of heart disease.

Sugarhill

I'd tell you not to go out of your way to consume any extra soy. As it has been mentioned in this thread, it is in so many foods that if it's good for you, which I doubt, you have more than enough in your diet.

I'm glad that I've developed a bit of an allergy to soy, so as soon as a food that you wouldn't think has soy in it, starts to bother me, I look at the ingredients, find the variation of it and toss it.

One less serving is okay with me.

shaunche

Soya proteins contain isoflavones that can mimic a weak estrogenic effect.However the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) says that a daily diet containing 25 grams of soy protein may reduce the risk of heart disease.
The FDA also officially recognise pizza as a vegetable. I would avoid anything the FDA recommend, they are interested in money, not health.

The only soy I would deem safe for consumption is fermented soy like Tempah. The Asians have the right idea...