Senior kitty

Lyra

I have a kitty who is 11. She has a physical problem that affects her movement some. I've been noticing lately that she has gotten a bit thinner and she asks for help getting up on the furniture. She seems to seek out warm piles of blankets to sleep in more than she used to.

In other words, it seems like she is getting old. 11 seems a bit young to me to start showing so many signs of age. I've never had a kitty as long as I've had her (10 years). Does it sound like she is getting old and is it normal at this age?

chabella

All Lady
Have you checked her weight lately? The cat we adopted earlier this year (who passed) ended up dropping half of her body weight and the vet had no idea what happened. She went to sleep one night acting completely normal and the next day she was tossing fits of what the vet stated were severe neurological disorders. Our cat was younger by about six years but I would still check it out with the vet to rule out anything extra.

Lyra

Yes, her weight has been slowly slipping. I don't think she's been eating as much. Sometimes her dish still has food in it when the next mealtime rolls around.

I am so sorry about your kitty. What a terrible shock!