Scents That Give You Peace

Are there any suggestions for scents that give you peace and serenity? Scientifically, I'm thinking of scents proven to calm the brain and heart levels. I'm thinking that there are scents used in certain cultures and religion that can have this effect. Anything you may know of would help. Thanks in advance.

SifuPhil

Sandalwood has long been used in religious and spiritual practices as the incense of choice. I've used it myself for over 30 years in all of my martial arts schools and I've seen a definite correlation between the use of sandalwood and stress reduction.

Lavender is pretty calming to me. When I cannot sleep at night I will spray some lavender scent on my pillow and it will help me fall right to sleep. I have tried a few others with no success, but lavender works pretty well for me.

hunysukle

I love using scents to relax myself. However, some scents are too strong and make me feel sick. I love the smell of lilac, in particular, and sometime rose.

dissn_it

I had forgotten about sandalwood but it and lavendar do work really well. There may be certain scents that are able to work for you as an individual, too. These would be scents from the past that you connect to as a calming scent. For me, it is the smell of rain.

Sandalwood has long been used in religious and spiritual practices as the incense of choice. I've used it myself for over 30 years in all of my martial arts schools and I've seen a definite correlation between the use of sandalwood and stress reduction.
I am totally going to try that. I noticed that a lot of my Indian friends have at least spoken of using sandalwood in the home. Are there other ways of using sandalwood? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for sharing!

Lavender is pretty calming to me. When I cannot sleep at night I will spray some lavender scent on my pillow and it will help me fall right to sleep. I have tried a few others with no success, but lavender works pretty well for me.
That is such a good idea! Do you make lavender-water, or do you buy some type of special spritz? I am excited about using this idea at night time. Lavender is one of my favorite colors to wear and one of my favorite decorative colors. I never thought about incorporating the scent.

I had forgotten about sandalwood but it and lavendar do work really well. There may be certain scents that are able to work for you as an individual, too. These would be scents from the past that you connect to as a calming scent. For me, it is the smell of rain.
We had some rain today and I sat down on my balcony to feel peace. I know that you can't just sit in the rain (at the risk of getting sick), but the smell is amazing for relaxation.

SifuPhil

I am totally going to try that. I noticed that a lot of my Indian friends have at least spoken of using sandalwood in the home. Are there other ways of using sandalwood? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for sharing!
Sandalwood oil is often used for everything from hair rinses for dry or damaged hair to skin creme formulations for dry skin, lip balms and massage oils.

Sandalwood oil is often used for everything from hair rinses for dry or damaged hair to skin creme formulations for dry skin, lip balms and massage oils.
Nice. I am going to look into getting some sandalwood oil. Sandalwood powder is also pretty easy to get. I'm going to get some and use it as an incense base. I love a home that 's just filled with smells of peace.

There's always lavender, of course, and jasmine is a very peaceful scent to me.

And the scent of muffins baking. :)
Excellent! I will have to check out how jasmine smells. And I love the idea of baked goods. I think it's good because you can have baked goods on the table everyday to make your home more of a home. I'm going to do this with cookies for sure.

It's between pumpkin spice & a cinnamon apple candle. I associate both of them with peace and ease, it relaxes me deeply just the scent alone.
I like this smell when I order Starbucks. I always get the pumpkin spice coffee when it is in season. I think I'll start making coffee to fill my house with good scents.

Parker

I like this smell when I order Starbucks. I always get the pumpkin spice coffee when it is in season. I think I'll start making coffee to fill my house with good scents.
I also order the chai and cinnamon and nutmeg. I get my extra hot so I can savory it. The aroma really relaxing.
I usually will light a vanilla candle when I'm stressed.

I will definitely have to try sandalwood. I think the local health store has sandalwood candles too.

SifuPhil

The sad thing about sandalwood (most natural fragrances, probably) is that it is commonly adulterated to make up for the thinning-out of the crops. Sandalwood trees are becoming over-harvested so cheaper imitations or synthetics are increasingly being used in their place.

The sandalwood I use is from Japan, hand-made and uses only all-natural and prime-stock ingredients. I pay a lot more for it but for me it's worth it.

sammilynn

When I first smelled Sandalwood I couldn't believe how much I loved it. Not only does it smell great, but I really do find it relaxing. It has a calming effect to it, it's not too overpowering either, so it doesn't hurt your eyes, nose, or give you a headache. I think it's great. Lavender is good too, but too strong of a lavender scent hurts my nose, so a light smell for me is good for relaxation. :)

Euclyptas has always worked best for me.
It clears my sinuses and really takes me to another place.
I have never heard of this as a smell. I know that a lot of people use this oil in their hair. I am going to try the smell and see how I like it.

ohiotom76

The Yankee Candle Citrus & Sage is one of my favorites. I always had that all throughout my place, loved coming home to that smell all year round.