Sanitizing Your Toorthbrush

Hyacinth

How do you sanitize your toothbrush? What I usually do is soak my toothbrush in antibacterial mouthwash. I have als been thinking of purchasing a toothbrush sanitizer. Does anybody use this machine?

strawberry

I honestly never thought about sanitizing my toothbrush. But I make a point of replacing it every six weeks or so. And I toss it if I've had a cold. Soaking it in an anti-bacterial mouthwash sounds like a good idea though.

chabella

All Lady
I have seen a few of those around, I think Brookstone sells them too so I might need to head out to the mall this weekend. Is anyone here a dentist by chance that could give us some insider tips?

MarBell

I read recently that it's okay to put toothbrushes in the dishwasher, although I've never done so. Toothbrushes are so inexpensive that I just replace them. I just purchased a new Phillips electric toothbrush, so I guess that will change the game plan.

lettuce

Sanitizing your toothbrush isn't necessary for good health. In fact, it's one of those things that the cleaning industry tries to get you to do that is completely overkill. So long as you rinse your brush after use, replace it every couple of months, and don't let your brush head touch anybody else's, there's no need to submerge it in chemicals.

SoftRain

I don't sanitize my toothbrush; the idea never even occurred to me. I simply replace the brush head of my electric toothbrush every few months.

patrick122068

I also never sanitize my toothbrush, but just rinse it off good. I do however keep my toothbrush inside of a Ziploc bag to keep it clean, instead of just leaving it on the counter exposed.

lettuce

patrick, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Toothbrushes need to air dry between uses to be fully clean. By trapping yours in an enclosed bag, you're encouraging the very thing you're trying to avoid (bacteria growth).

clewand550

I always just rinse off my electric toothbrush thoroughly after every use. I let it air dry throughout the day and night. I replace the head of my electric toothbrush every few months. If I have been sick with a cold or flue, I replace it when I start feeling better. I have really never thought about sanitizing it.

alr2988

I want to get one. I get really paranoid about my daughter using her toothbrush and not knowing what germs are in it. You can buy disposable toothbrushes, but that seems like a waste to me. I would just feel a lot better if I knew that she wasn't putting germs in her mouth when we ask her to brush her teeth.

That is a good idea that you sanitize it in mouthwash. I should really start doing that. With the amount of alcohol that mouthwash contains, it probably gets really clean. Every once in a while I will boil my toothbrush in hot water, but I am always afraid that the rubber is going to melt or something. I usually change my toothbrush every 6-9 weeks with a new one.

I use the mouthwash method as well. If it can sanitize my mouth I think it wills sanitize the thing I put in my mouth to brush my teeth. It really is your best bet and you will already be buying mouthwash anyway so 2 birds, 1 stone.

melaniedupris

I have actually never thought of sanitizing my toothbrush either. However, it does sound like a good idea considering the fact that there is so much bacteria flying around all over the place. Sounds like a good idea!

hunysukle

You are supposed to get a new toothbrush every month. As far as sanitizing, I simply soak my toothbrush head in a jar containing a solution of one part white vinegar and one part water. White vinegar is effective at sanitizing and doesn't contain any chemicals that you have to worry about.

amy71219

I've never even thought about sanitizing my toothbrush. I just rinse it after every use and put it in the medicine cabinet to dry.

I put mine near the bathroom window where the sun peeks in everyday. Sunshine is supposed to have sanitizing effects, right?

I don't sanitize my toothbrush, too. I just rinse it off very well and replace it every 2 weeks. I don't think bacteria would grow on a cleanly-rinsed toothbrush as long as it is air-dried. Your mouth is super dirty anyway every time you brush your teeth, so I don't think it won't matter, unless your toothbrush was placed somewhere it shouldn't be before you use it.

You just raised my attention to this. I think I will be researching toothbrush sanitizer systems for sure. My goodness, all the germs flying around in the medicine cabinet..gross! Thank you for sharing how you sanitize your toothbrushes, it is a very helpful post indeed!

misumaru15

I usually replace as needed. This is a good reminder. I will start using mouthwash. It is strong enough to kill germs in mouths, so it should work on the toothbrushes.

mademoiselle328

This never occurred to me either because I just replace it with a new one after a while. I've been using disposable toothbrushes mostly because I'm not really into electric toothbrushes. But for someone who does, I'm just wondering if hydrogen peroxide can be advisable?