Raisins as an Alternative to Energy Chews

Cassia

I was just reading that researchers at the University of California-Davis found out that raisins could be as effective as energy/sports chews (I didn't even know that sports chews existed! :D) in boosting endurance.

What exactly is a sports chew? Is that, like, a sports drink except that you chew it? If that's the case, I would imagine that pretty much any fruit that was ingested by chewing would have a similar effect.

Parker

I have never heard of sports chew either. It really doesn't sound appetizing either. I know raisins are suppose to be good for you, but my teeth don't really like them. Too much sugar in such a small package. I can tolerate them in a carrot salad though.

shaunche

Raisins are condensed fruit, they will supply fast energy. Personally I wouldn't eat raisins more than once or twice per week because of the sugar content. I do love raisins, though, Sun-Maid are my favourite brand, no oil or glazing agent added.

dissn_it

I have never heard of sports chews either. I would think that oatmeal raisin cookies could be considered a sports chew! When I was a kid, I loved the golden raisins. I haven't had them since I was little but now that I am thinking about them, I will have to go and get some.

I have never heard of sports chews either. I would think that oatmeal raisin cookies could be considered a sports chew! When I was a kid, I loved the golden raisins. I haven't had them since I was little but now that I am thinking about them, I will have to go and get some.
Oatmeal raisin cookies tend to overdo with the sugar content, even for cookies. I think I read somewhere that the oatmeal raisin cookies at Subway had more sugar than the sugar cookies or the chocolate chip.

chabella

All Lady
Raisins, well for some reason the older I grow the more I dislike them. I remember loving them as a child and even as a teen but after my mid-20's I gave up on them. I wonder if there is a way to make them tastier?

Raisins are very sweet. Too sweet for me, actually. I cannot chew on more than a few at a time. If I try too many, my teeth would become sensitive. When I need an instant energy boost, I usually eat dried palm dates, which are not so sweet.

Luvkenny

Awesome - I love raisins but don't eat them very often. I will buy some when I shop this weekend. Don't they also help you go to the bathroom? I drink a pop when I need energy so it would be great if I could just eat raisins.

Raisins, well for some reason the older I grow the more I dislike them. I remember loving them as a child and even as a teen but after my mid-20's I gave up on them. I wonder if there is a way to make them tastier?
I've had exactly the same experience. I used to love raisins as a kid, and now I can only take so much of them before it becomes too much.

artistry

I guess that they are speaking of are energy bars. I love raisins, they have iron and are very filling. I also enjoy the yogurt covered raisins. Very tasty snack.

Parker

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has problems with raisins. I used to really love them. I have eaten a few yogurt covered raisins and found them to be a bit too sweet. I even had problems with dark chocolate covered raisins which is really surprising because I can eat just about anything covered in dark chocolate.