pay attention

chabella

All Lady
I see tons of people that never pay attention to early warning signs, do we really think our bodies just do things to do them? I am wondering if its a sign of being lazy or just not caring?

SoftRain

I think it can be just being busy and not prioritizing listening to your body and in some cases it may be denial. People don't want to think about something being wrong.

rayne

SoftRain has a point. It may also be lack of insurance or the ability to pay for medical care. I know that's sad but true in many cases. Also, the body is designed to heal itself if given the proper care and nutrients, unless it's a broken bone or something similar. I know I put off going to the Dr. until the very last minute.

naturelady

I am in the camp that believes that most people are fairly out of touch with their bodies. Not only that, but most people are not that educated about what those signs mean. Add to that our natural desire to ignore bad things we see coming.

MarBell

I think we subconsciously think that if we ignore it, it will go away. I'm afraid I'm a bit like that. I know better, but still I put it off and put it off, unless it's my family member or a good friend. When it's myself, it's different.

wanderingherb

Well its certainly not because we are all lazy or something. Honestly. :rolleyes:

Our brain is in control of pain receptors. Messages get shifted at times. Or sometimes our glandular system is off whack producing signals to our body to go off. SO yes, we ignore then. Who can afford to run to the doctor with every "weird" sensation we get. Instead we keep an eye on it to see if it worsens or gets better, then next thing we know, 2 months have passed. Ooops. Definitely a problem.

We really need to be careful about judging those who's shoes we do not walk in.

Brea

I also think people are out of touch with their bodies. However, sometimes a person might mistake a warning sign for something else. There are so many diseases and stuff that have the same symptoms, that sometimes a person just thinks their symptom is nothing.

Hyacinth

I guess we have this belief what whatever symptoms we feel will eventually go away and it's nothing serious so just ignore it. Maybe some of us are afraid to face the possibility that our health is in trouble because finding out so will affect everything around us one way or another- family, work, friends, etc.

strawberry

I think it's a combination of fear and hoping that whatever it is will go away on its own. At least that's the way I am. But if the symptoms stick around for too long, I would go and get it checked out.

chabella

All Lady
It seems like more people talk the talk than actually walk the walk. I know the issues with my own back have been put off for too long but I was busy taking care of what needed done. And I am going, actually waiting on a call back this week to see the first time the doc can get me in.

lettuce

If we freaked out over every little thing, we'd be in the emergency room a lot unnecessarily. I know my body does some wonky things from time to time, but the key is, these events pass fairly quickly. If they didn't, I'd investigate it for sure.

freshfoodie

While I don't necessarily ignore my body, I do tend to try to let it heal itself before I run off to the doctor for every little complaint. I think people have many reasons for putting off seeing the doctor and it isn't for us to judge them.

wanderingherb

It seems like more people talk the talk than actually walk the walk. I know the issues with my own back have been put off for too long but I was busy taking care of what needed done. And I am going, actually waiting on a call back this week to see the first time the doc can get me in.
What do you mean by talk the talk rather than walk the walk?

Glad you getting your back checked into!

amy71219

I don't really ignore my health problems but I have some things that I have been dealing with for years and going to doctors for and I've lived with them so long that it seems normal to me. I'm sure that's the same for other people too.

It probably has something to do with the false idea that somebody else is going to take care of it for us. Like maybe the government. This probably stems from parents being over-protective of their children and never teaching the children to take care of themselves.

Trudy

I find that I'm always so busy taking care of other people and doing the things others expect of me that the last person on my list is myself. Before I know it, time has passed, and I still haven't addressed an issue. I have one right now, but still keep putting it off.

Carolynn

It probably has something to do with the false idea that somebody else is going to take care of it for us. Like maybe the government. This probably stems from parents being over-protective of their children and never teaching the children to take care of themselves.
I agree with at least some of what everyone else has said except for the above. I don't expect the government or anyone else to take care of my health needs for me. I have small children to raise and right now their care and well-being is more important than mine. Not to say that I don't have some things that need to be taken care of, but with tight finances things must be prioritized and they are first.