New to meditation - tips

smellsrfun

So I'm new to meditating... I know I want to give it a try as a form of a stress reliever. What do I need to do to start? Just a clear head and a quiet place?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

greentea

As a kind of mental practice, meditation should be taken seriously. It's better for you to find a competent meditation teacher in your location, or just find a yoga studio and ask them if they also have a meditation class that you can join.

SuzyQ

My son got quite good at meditation. He could send himself off into the "ether" and even when there was noise he remained in his meditation until he chose to come out of it.

Glinda

This is probably going to sound very cliche, but I have a big comfy chair that I sit in, light some candles, and play some soft, instrumental music. Once I'm settled in, I focus on my breathing and that gets me relaxed and to where I need to be.

SuzyQ

Oh yes, I forgot about breathing. I personally find that breathing "correctly", ie the opposite of the way we normally do it, and taking deep breaths is what sends me into a deep meditation.

greentea

Breathing play an important role in your meditation. It is believed that if you could control your breath, you would be able to control your mind. That's why yoga has a breathing system called pranayama.

Natural

I've done some basic meditation and the hardest part for me is to not think about my problems when I'm meditating. My thoughts are with my problems when I was starting to practice meditation. You really need to control your thoughts of pleasant things and not of your problems.