Need help with my herb garden!

Lyra

I planted them as seeds a few weeks ago. We've had plenty of rain and sunshine, but they aren't growing that well. The basil and chives have started growing a little more in the past week, since I thinned the basil seedlings some more. But the tarragon doesn't seem to want to grow at all! A few little seedlings popped their heads up, but they aren't getting bigger.

What do I need to do?

xenon

Whatever you do, don't over water. Basil you need to plant depending on you climate. In cool climates plant say, 6" apart, in warm to hot climates a foot or more. Once the basil is a plant of a 6" or higher, water at midday as it likes the warm water. Tarragon is different to basil. It propagates from roots so you really only need to have one plant. Plant as many as you can deal with. It spreads readily but it's easy to remove. It also dies back over winter. Basil is an annual, dies back and needs replanting every year from seed.. A lot of herb growing depends on your climate. Experiment but ensure you don't encourage plants that become weeds. Mint in a cold climate can become a weed. I know all about that one. :(

beckyv1265

I agree over watering can be the death of many plants. I haave killed off more than a few. Some plants also don't always do well with too much sun. Try limiting the sun and water. Sometimes you just have to experiment with the buggers. I do live in the south where we get a lot of sun.

Lyra

This is so helpful. Thanks for the tips! I had no idea that tarragon spreads like that or that I only need one plant to make it. I know basil thrives in hot sunshine, so maybe if the weather heats up things soon, it will grown more.

dissn_it

Tarragon can be much slower to grow than basil where I live. I am in a colder climate so I grow my herbs indoors. I tried growing them outside for a few years but it didn't work out so well for me. I do like having them on my kitchen window sill. It is nice to have them close by while I am cooking. It sounds like you are on the right track now so just keep us posted on how they are doing!

dziomek

Many herbs are finicky when it comes to over-watering. They often prefer warmer, drier temperatures and lighter soil (more sand for drainage). I have had better luck with herbs in pots than in my clay-based garden soil.