Need exercise suggestions

beyreNC

I have a near-25 year old back injury (high school sports) that I was never able to afford to get treated (not that the doctors knew what was exactly wrong to begin with). It is in the lower lumbar and slightly to the right (when looking at the back). If you put any pressure on it, I go through the ceiling in pain. I also can't put pressure on my right hip, as I think it's become a casualty during all this.

Over the years, my activity level has decreased as the back pain increased. I have been sitting a computer for years now (at home). I am not invalid or such, but I can't do a lot of the more aerobic and walking exercises because they hurt.

As a result, I've gained a lot of weight and it's all in my upper and lower abdominals, which we all know weakens the back's strength. So, I'm kind of in a catch-22 type position.

What kind of exercises can you recommend that works on the upper and lower abdominals to reduce them, but also strengthens the back ... all while not putting any pressure on the back. I'm not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes:

I've tried doing exercises on the bed as I could do stuff with a lot of good cushion, but I didn't feel it was doing any good as I couldn't feel the burn and such.

Sugarhill

The weight loss on the abs will have to be reduced through diet. There is nothing else that can be said about that.

As for the pain, the only thing I can suggest for you would be foam roller therapy. It's something that you can do to yourself or have someone do to you while you fight the pain. You will have to bite the bullet and work on your back.

If you haven't had any treatment on your back, you probably have a major amount of scar tissue back there that has built up and almost made you immobile. If it's that painful to the touch, that is what it sounds like. By breaking up that tissue and bringing blood back into the area, you will relieve a lot of your pain.

What the foam roller will do is similar to a deep tissue massage, but it will be painful until you really start breaking up the tissue, but even after one session, you will feel a little better. Once you can relieve a lot of the pain and increase your mobility, you'll be able to do other exercises.

That's the cheapest, most effective thing that I can suggest for you.

beyreNC

Wow! What a great response! I will definitely search for foam roller therapy after making this post.

I do know when I lay on the bed and swing my right leg way over to the left, thus stretching out my right lower back ... and then gentle rub circles around there ... I feel a neat cooling sensation. In fact, I feel that everywhere I feel tight, such as when my hubby massages my upper back, neck and shoulders (am a rock up there, I guess I keep stressed bottled there) ... is that cooling sensation a result of the attempts to break up said tissue?

As for the tissue, I think you are correct in that I very well may have a build up of scar tissue or some other type of swelling over the years.

I have always wanted to get therapy massages but a) I know I can't afford them, and b) I am afraid it would hurt way too much. I don't know what kind of knowledge one learns about the medical aspects of the body as they train to be a masseuse, so I don't know if they would ultimately do more damage or not because of what may be wrong with my back. That's another reason why I have been so hesitant on doing exercises - afraid I'll do more damage.

The diet aspect isn't that hard, as I do what I can as it is because of being borderline (if not full-on) diabetic. I'm really watching my carbs because I often have a strange shaky sensation in my chest if I have more than 40 mg of carbs (60 being the max for any meal for a diabetic). The shakiness isn't my blood pressure or pulse (I have a monitor for that), so I don't know what it is. My heart is strong and steady.

Anyways, I was asking about exercising because I know diet along won't get rid of the belly ... need exercise to start to firm up the skin that has stretched and strengthen the muscles and make them lean. But diet does play a huge part.

Thanks again for the therapy suggestion. Off I go to research that. =)

Sugarhill

You'd be surprised at how much a great masseuse knows about the physiology of the body. In some states, college level courses are required.

I forgot about the type of stretching that you already do. I didn't know what your physical level was at the time, so all I could think about was just trying to get you to the point of being able to move onto various exercises.

I think the tightness is due to you giving into the pain and trying to stay as still as you can. Don't give into the pain, that's why so many people that suffer from arthritis endure so much pain, they won't move.

If you need to, start off with a consumer grade roller like the one that you can find at Target. Go there to look at it and see what you'd be getting yourself into. If the pain is as bad as you describe, get a mouthpiece so you can have something to bite down on during the first few weeks of it.

If you have a doctor for other things, also talk to them about foam roller therapy.

beyreNC

I had spent the time since last posting out on the web. I have bookmarked several youtube videos showing exercises and a few online shops to purchase the rollers. I live out in the country and stores like Target are pretty far away, so I'm limited in my choices around here. However, we are going to Walmart here shortly, so I'll if they have anything.

I do tend to get very stiff as I guess I've developed arthritis of some variety in my back and hips, and plus I sit all the time to do work on the computer. But despite my weight, and after I've done some unstiffening stretching, you'd be surprised at how limber I am. After all these years, I still have great muscles in my thighs and calves due to the sports I did in high school (fencing 2 years, volleyball team 4 years, shotput/discus 4 years, bowling 2 years), plus I did a lot of walking while living in Phoenix, AZ and Dublin, Ireland.

I'm really liking the idea of the roller. Have a larger surface area doing the massage instead of the smaller ones of fingers tips would really make the difference in the pain I experience. Thank you again for point out the rollers. I also saw a video that also included the large exercise balls and a few exercises for back strengthening ... might look into that also. Then again, the cats might want to play with it LOL.

Sugarhill

When your mobility improves, add some yoga into what you are doing. It will help you get into shape and you can start off with gentle movements and workouts and when you're ready, move into more aggressive workouts. All of these things you can do at home or take a few classes to start you off and help you learn the poses.

But, I really think that you can get yourself back to the condition that you want without spending a lot of money. If I can think of anything else, I'll come back to let you know.

Walmart will probably have the rollers also, check in the sports department.

dissn_it

I have had really good results on my lower back pain doing the original Mari Windsor pilates. I started by doing the modified versions of the exercises and worked my way up from there. Pilates will focus on the core muscles and this really helps with back pain. I thnk if you can find exercises that focus on your core, that will help the back pain. Just be cautious at first so you don't over do it.

Randomhero

Water Aerobics might be good start to get your body bag into physical activity. I know it might be daunting to do this but there is some water aerobics class at the local YWCA that is pretty good starters. Doing that for a few weeks will help to lose weight, increase flexibility and endurance. Also nutrition is very vital to your success so find out how many calories a day you need to sustain your current weight and based on activity level you can reduce that number by 500 to lose about 1lb per week.

Sugarhill

Water aerobics is also a really good suggestion. It would be less pressure on the back since you'd be working out underwater. Even if you aren't taking an official class, you could perform regular exercise underwater like jogging, running or course swimming. That could help a lot.

shaunche

It sounds like you could have a herniated disc or an impinged nerve. An MRI scan would be able to show what is causing the pain.

Your upper and lower abdominals are muscles, I doubt you have big abs because you need to train your abs to build the muscle.

I would recommend McKenzie exercises, a 50 year-old proven method for back pain and herniated discs.

Sugarhill

I've never heard of McKenzie exercises, I'll have to look them up. Thanks, shaunche.

I came back to also suggest Tai Chi. You might need to start with something that will just help build up your body's strength and there is rarely a better way than to start with things that depend on your own body weight.

beyreNC

Thanks for all the additional responses.

I have no YMCA or public pool nearby, so water exercising is out of the question ... thought about that before. Darn it!

I have no health insurance and could in no way afford the $1000+ for a MRI ... been told for years I need one as it "may" tell the doctors what is wrong ... they are hesitant even on that.

Ya know, I did originally try to self-teach myself Tai Chi as I have learned about so many of its benefits, but it's hard to learn the moves when some of them involve you turning away from the book/video so you can't see what the next movements are.

I've tried putting ads in Craigslist and local papers asking for some initial Tai Chi instruction in exchange I would build a website for them since I can't afford to pay anyone for lessons. No bites. Grrrr.

I did go to 2 Walmarts ... one of them the huge one ... and none sold the rollers. So, I'll have to get them online when I next get some money.

Thank you for everyone's help on this. I appreciate you taking the time to think of suggestions.

Sugarhill

When you're trying to do Tai Chi by video, preview the video first and get a grasp of the moves and when they will come up in the program. Position yourself in advance to do the move. If it's a move that would turn you away from the TV, start with your back to the TV and turn towards it as you do the move.

chabella

All Lady
I would think by video would be the best bet too, or have a workout helper that can guide you and walk around the room with the book in hand. I went with a recumbent bike to help me start dropping weight only because I have back issues as well and its not that strenuous on the back (if you are up for it).

beyreNC

All great suggestions. =)

I do know one thing, I need to remind myself NOT to sit in the uncushioned kitchen chair to watch videos on the laptop. My back and hips were aching after just 30 minutes. And here I was trying to cater to the cute kitty that was sleeping in my husband's office chairs, which is the most comfy of the chairs in the house. Our cats are so spoiled. =)

SifuPhil

If you were in Northeast Pennsylvania I'd volunteer my services as a Taijiquan teacher, but I get the feeling you aren't around here ... :(

You say you used to be an enthusiastic walker - do you think perhaps you could get back into that routine? It's one of the best whole-body exercises out there and as long as you build up slowly it doesn't pose many risks.

shaunche

All great suggestions. =)

I do know one thing, I need to remind myself NOT to sit in the uncushioned kitchen chair to watch videos on the laptop. My back and hips were aching after just 30 minutes. And here I was trying to cater to the cute kitty that was sleeping in my husband's office chairs, which is the most comfy of the chairs in the house. Our cats are so spoiled. =)
Please look up the Mckenzie method, it is physical therapy designed for people with back pain. You can look up McKenzie exercise demonstrations on Youtube, simple exercises. Ideally you would consult a McKenzie therapist for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

SifuPhil

The Mckenzie method is a valid therapy unless the OP has a condition such as lumbar spinal stenosis, in which case it would be contraindicated. As you said it's always best to consult a qualified therapist before starting a regime such as this.

beyreNC

Hmmm, another option to look into. Thank you for that, Shaunche and Phil.

It's unfortunate that I can not afford any medical costs and have no health insurance. I know that greatly limits me on things but I can only do what I can and hope it's good enough.