Natural Nail Polish Remover

Myrrh

I was wondering if there are ingredients in the kitchen or stuff in your room which can be used as a substitute for nail polish remover. The store-bought nail polish remover comes with a heavy scent, which I find irritating to the nose.

clewand550

I am very interested in finding this answer out too. I agree with you, the smell is pretty disgusting. I would love to use something that is natural instead of a store bought nail polish remover. I'm sure that the smell can't be healthy for you.

wanderingherb

The smell is the least of your problems. How about that thing called strong chemical to remove paint. Don't think you'll find "natural" paint removers. Its paint.

However you can use them to help keep your nails healthy! :)

Lcd975

I was curious about this too. I found this article on Brighthub:

(I was unable to post the link-- sorry)

Home *>*Environment *>*Green Living *>*Personal Care
Natural and Homemade Nail Polish Remover Recipes
Written*by:* jciotta • Edited by: BStone
Published Jul 9, 2010 • Related Guides:*Vinegar | Rubbing Alcohol
What is the most eco-friendly way to remove nail polish? Learn about natural ways to get rid of nail polish with these tips and recipes.

Conventional nail polish removers made with acetone and other dangerous chemicals make the simple task of washing away those bright reds, soft peaches, and radiant pinks a rather toxic affair. Inhalation especially can be dangerous. Are there natural ways to get rid of nail polish?

Recipes to Remove Nail Polish from Your Nails

Many people don't like to use store bought nail polish removers; they can be too harsh on delicate nails and chemical-based removers are not eco-friendly. Instead, many prefer to remove nail polish naturally to reduce chemical exposure to the nails and finger tips, and to keep nails strong. Here are simple recipes to help you remove nail polish from your nails naturally. Use these easy recipes the next time you want to change your nail color or return to the natural, colorless look.
Recipe 1: Nail polish
One way to remove old nail polish is to apply a new coat of polish. Buy clear polish and put a thick coat on each nail one at a time. After applying the coat, wipe immediately. Do not let it dry. This should remove the old nail polish off the nail as well. It's quick, easy and cheap, since a bottle of clear nail polish costs around 99 cents. Additionally, you are not putting anything foreign on your nails.

Recipe 2: Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is a natural substance. It is a denatured alcohol solution, which is composed of 97.5 to 100 percent ethanol or ethyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol should only be used topically. Women use it frequently to swab their piercings to keep from collecting bacteria and causing infection. It can also be used to remove nail polish. Simply buy a cheap bottle of rubbing alcohol. You can buy a miniature bottle for under $1. Put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and rub away at each nail. It may take longer to remove all the polish than normal remover, but it works just as well.

Recipe 3: Hot Water
A great way to remove polish is to soften it. Even though we take a hot shower, for example, the polish doesn't become soft. That's because we have to immerse our nails in hot water. Simply heat water on the stove or in a microwave. Test the temperature. You have to be able to tolerate the heat. Then immerse your hands in the bowl of hot water for 15 minutes. After the polish softens, gently scrape off.

Recipe 4: Vinegar and Citric Fruits
Vinegar is a natural substance. Putting this acidic substance on polish will break it down and make it possible to wipe off. Simply put a small amount of vinegar in a bowl. Add citric fruit such as lemon, lime or an orange, and mix in with the vinegar. Put a cotton ball in the mixture and wipe on your fingernails. It may take a bit longer to remove the polish fully, since it will take a little while to break down. Also, you may have to gently scrape your nails to fully remove.

Insect repellent is sometimes recommended as an alternative nail polish remover. Because of the harsh chemicals found in insect repellent, this is not suggested.

Now that you've learned natural ways to get rid of nail polish, go paint your nails and try it for yourself.

Reference

If anyone tries this let me know if it works....

peacenik

Those alternatives are worse for your nails than to use the remover from the store. They all end up with you scraping the polish from your nails which can cause a lot of damage and allow bacteria and fungi in.

hunysukle

I would be interesting in trying natural nail polish remover, as well. Plus, I would like to start using all-natural nail polish. Every time I paint my nails I'm afraid of the chemicals I'm inhaling.

Myrrh

I was curious about this too. I found this article on Brighthub:

(I was unable to post the link-- sorry)

Home *>*Environment *>*Green Living *>*Personal Care
Natural and Homemade Nail Polish Remover Recipes
Written*by:* jciotta • Edited by: BStone
Published Jul 9, 2010 • Related Guides:*Vinegar | Rubbing Alcohol
What is the most eco-friendly way to remove nail polish? Learn about natural ways to get rid of nail polish with these tips and recipes.

Conventional nail polish removers made with acetone and other dangerous chemicals make the simple task of washing away those bright reds, soft peaches, and radiant pinks a rather toxic affair. Inhalation especially can be dangerous. Are there natural ways to get rid of nail polish?

Recipes to Remove Nail Polish from Your Nails

Many people don't like to use store bought nail polish removers; they can be too harsh on delicate nails and chemical-based removers are not eco-friendly. Instead, many prefer to remove nail polish naturally to reduce chemical exposure to the nails and finger tips, and to keep nails strong. Here are simple recipes to help you remove nail polish from your nails naturally. Use these easy recipes the next time you want to change your nail color or return to the natural, colorless look.
Recipe 1: Nail polish
One way to remove old nail polish is to apply a new coat of polish. Buy clear polish and put a thick coat on each nail one at a time. After applying the coat, wipe immediately. Do not let it dry. This should remove the old nail polish off the nail as well. It's quick, easy and cheap, since a bottle of clear nail polish costs around 99 cents. Additionally, you are not putting anything foreign on your nails.

Recipe 2: Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is a natural substance. It is a denatured alcohol solution, which is composed of 97.5 to 100 percent ethanol or ethyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol should only be used topically. Women use it frequently to swab their piercings to keep from collecting bacteria and causing infection. It can also be used to remove nail polish. Simply buy a cheap bottle of rubbing alcohol. You can buy a miniature bottle for under $1. Put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and rub away at each nail. It may take longer to remove all the polish than normal remover, but it works just as well.

Recipe 3: Hot Water
A great way to remove polish is to soften it. Even though we take a hot shower, for example, the polish doesn't become soft. That's because we have to immerse our nails in hot water. Simply heat water on the stove or in a microwave. Test the temperature. You have to be able to tolerate the heat. Then immerse your hands in the bowl of hot water for 15 minutes. After the polish softens, gently scrape off.

Recipe 4: Vinegar and Citric Fruits
Vinegar is a natural substance. Putting this acidic substance on polish will break it down and make it possible to wipe off. Simply put a small amount of vinegar in a bowl. Add citric fruit such as lemon, lime or an orange, and mix in with the vinegar. Put a cotton ball in the mixture and wipe on your fingernails. It may take a bit longer to remove the polish fully, since it will take a little while to break down. Also, you may have to gently scrape your nails to fully remove.

Insect repellent is sometimes recommended as an alternative nail polish remover. Because of the harsh chemicals found in insect repellent, this is not suggested.

Now that you've learned natural ways to get rid of nail polish, go paint your nails and try it for yourself.

Reference

If anyone tries this let me know if it works....
Thanks for sharing this one. I was not really sure if there are alternatives for commercial nail polish remover, so I'm glad that there are! I might try using the vinegar and citrus fruit extract combination and see how it goes.

SoftRain

You can also try Piggy Paint. It's a line of more natural nail polish, including remover. I think it started out for kids but there are more adult colors on the site too.