Natural hair dyes?

Melissa

My hair is super fine so I was wondering if anyone knew of any natural hair dyes that wont damage my hair too much? thanks!

AnonaMoss

Every commercial dye is going to damage the hair. Some just take longer than others. I've used natural dyes that cost me $17 dollars a box and my hair still broke off eventually. When you strip color (going lighter) it gets damaged more quickly then when you "deposit" color (going darker). The only 100 percent natural dyes that I know of (aside from the people who use food) is the indian henna powder. Maybe someone else knows of something else. It is a red color, but you can mix it with indigo to get a reddish brown color. Honestly, if you are concerned about damage your best bet is to avoid dyes all together. My hair is fine and wavy. It takes about a year to see damage when I dye it regularly. Maybe you should invest in conditioners that are especially for color-treated hair. I hear that Lanza has really good products. Also, maybe you could let a hair stylist dye it.

chabella

All Lady
I am out of ideas honestly. We do try to eat healthy but once in a while my hair does get a change of color (it has been just about every color so far too), that is my little vice. Sometimes a girl needs a change up, would love to know if there is anything great to use though!

rayne

What color do you want it? Blueberries come to mind if you want blue. They stain like everything but I haven't tried them on my hair. I do remember when I was younger, I would put lemon juice on my hair and then get out in the sun. I'm a natural brunette and the lemon juice would give me beautiful blonde high lights and turn the rest auburn.

claudine

My mother's friend dyes her hair with tea. Now, she is a redhead. I asked her about details, so here it is. First, it must be strong, black tea. You should rinse your hair in it for couple of minutes and repeat it from time to time after washing your hair with shampoo. It may take even a couple of weeks until you see the results. I must emphasize that I haven't tried it myself. If your natural hair color is very dark, it might not work.

kayhill

I agree with the other posters. Henna is an excellent hair dye and there are also claims that it will thicken your hair too. I have never used Henna but I have used black tea, sage and black walnut shells. These infusions did not dye my hair the first time, it took multiple applications, but it certainly was not as damaging as commercial hair dye.

Nakhash

I've used henna before. I have dark brown hair with natural reddish highlights but like to go redder from time to time. It works pretty well but can be drying. So definitely needs to be followed with some deep conditioning. I like to warm up some olive oil, then coat my hair and wrap in plastic and a towel for a bit. Takes a few washings to get it out but it does the job.

For blonde highlights, lemon juice works well. We used to spend a lot of time in the sun, which we don't do any more. I'm not sure if using a blow dryer would achieve the same results. I've heard that chamomile tea can be used to lighten hair and that doesn't involve being out in the sun. You just comb it through and allow it to dry naturally. Both of these work best if your hair is naturally light to begin with.

artistry

I have used henna. I find it pretty mild. But anything that is going to have to be strong enough to change the cokir of your hair is going to cause some damage, just by virtue of what it is. A good conditioner, as someone stated, would be a good thing.

Lena51

So, what kind of tea would you use to dye your hair black? My hair is black and I want it to stay that way. I do not want to change color or anything. I have tried henna but it doesn't seem to work unless I am doing something wrong. The one that I used was a powder mix and maybe I didn't use it correctly. I am at the point of saying just let it go totally gray but I would like to keep it black if I could.