Natural flea remedies

quitetenacious

What is a good way to get rid of fleas in a cat and rabbit that are natural? Are there any herbal products out there that you have had experience with getting rid of fleas?

sandooch

I, too, would like to know the answer to this. Not only are the flea products like Advantage and Frontline expensive, but sometimes they don't work. I spent a lot of money at the vet purchasing the Frontline for my 3 cats and 1 dog, all indoor pets. I think it may have helped, but it didn't get rid of them completely. I would love to know if there is something that I can feed them that would make the fleas flee! :p I've read that garlic can help, but do not know if it's safe for both cats and dogs or how much to give them if it is.

Anyone?

plsargent

I was doing some reading and cedar is suppose to help and one other but now I can't remember. There was some product that said it was natural on amazon and it was cedar based.

ssamcd

We live right on the Atlantic Ocean and the salt water kills the fleas. They will jump off them like immediately. I am not sure if you live near the ocean but if you do it will work. Try some tea tree oil on their ears, or some vinegar. Besides that the only thing I can think of is a flea collar.

Carolynn

I have tried everything at this point including the chemicals like Advantage, and my dog is still covered AND miserable. We bathe her, we have used powders, sprays, and every natural ingredient any one has mentioned with no success. Help!!!

Lyra

And those chemical solutions can be really bad for your animals!

We've never had a flea problem before this year and it so hard! I haven't been able to get rid of them, but they are somewhat under control.

I have learned that my cats are sensitive to essential oils, so the natural flea collars I made them our out (they both got sores around their necks!).

The best things to do are just staying on top of cleaning measures. Vacuum at least once a week, and be sure to dump the canister right away. Wash all the animal bedding regularly. Wash the animals regularly. Flea comb them every few days.

The trick is to remember that you have to keep doing what you are doing, as the flea life cycle is about three weeks. You may get all the fleas on your first pass, but you may have more in three weeks, when eggs you missed hatch.

Carolynn

They have gotten so bad and she is so miserable my husband is threatening to make her stay outside. :( I really don't want to do that, but I don't want my kids getting flea bites either.

Basil Nut

We had fleas in the house a few years ago. As it turned out, an opossum had gotten underneath the house, and the fleas had gotten in through the air conditioning vents or something. We almost never got rid of those fleas. Even the exterminators had their hands full. So far this year, they have not returned, but it really was a pain.

Aletha

Ok, you may not believe me, but here goes. I have two dogs and three cats who are indoor and outdoor. I did a lot of research on natural flea eradication and this works very well. Vacuum everything very well. Throw the vacuum bag outside or empty it outside so the fleas and eggs you have in there are gone. When I say vacuum, I mean everything including mattresses, under beds, under couches, under couch cushions, back of couches, even vacuum your bare floors and especially vacuum around the baseboard bottoms and tops. Then, bathe your animals very well with Dawn dishwashing liquid or make a salt water bath and put them in it. Get some Canning or Pickling salt and put it everywhere including the places I mentioned vacuuming above. Make sure you sweep the salt up under your baseboards and on top of your baseboards. I also sprinkled the salt along the edges of the bed frame and under the couch cushions and along the top of the couch where the cushion meets the back of the couch. Throw the salt all over your carpets and take a broom and rub it into it. Make sure you put it under furniture and everywhere you can think of. Especially put it under your pet's bed. It won't hurt them as long as it isn't iodized and it clears out the fleas very well. Keep this up for at least two months to make sure the fleas have gone through the whole cycle. If you vacuum your carpet, make sure you put salt back down. This WILL work without hurting your pets. I've done it now for three years and I don't have a problem with fleas even though we live in a heavily wooded area.

Carolynn

I may have to try that Aletha. I just ordered diachotomous earth powder today and it will be here Wednesday. If that doesn't work the salt will be next!