My responsive body

Iben

I hate the fact that the older you are, the more responsive your body to your food intake. You just eat a bit more than you usually do, and your body will gain some extra pounds in no time. :rolleyes:

Novembre

I think it makes sense. The older you are, the less physical works you will likely do, and the less you will burn calories and fat. Not that I like it, but it is the way your system works.

freshfoodie

It is unfortunate but our bodies do slow down over time. You can make your metabolism work better for you by eating the right combinations of foods in the right amounts and exercising. It really is too bad the pounds don't come off as easily as they go on.

Asturian

It really is too bad the pounds don't come off as easily as they go on.
Yeah, I wonder why it is always easier to gain weight than to lose it. Though, I agree with you about consuming the right food in the right amount and exercising. It applies not only to us but also to younger people.

CrankyMonkey

I really wish they went off as quickly but oh well. I just workout extra hard if I have eaten something bad for me and it mostly evens out.

strawberry

My husband is always complaining about the extra weight he's gained because he's not working as physically hard right now. Once he gets back to the grind, he'll drop it, but not as quickly as when he was young.

lettuce

I like your use of the word "responsive" - it's cute. I agree that it would sure be nice if a calorie counted the same at any age. Even twenty-somethings can have trouble burning more than they take in, though.

Hyacinth

As we get older, our metabolism slows down. We experience muscle loss and hormonal changes occur in the body that trigger weight gain. That's the way nature works, but I don't think we are that hopeless. With proper diet and exercise, we can still get rid of some of those unwanted bulges. :)

Trudy

Nature knows what it's doing in most instances. As we age, things just naturally slow down. We've been able to adapt to get this far, so we ought to be able to keep on keeping on, as they say.

wanderingherb

Our thyroid changes. Remember if it is weight gain you cannot control no matter what, have your thyroid checked. Possibility does exist.

meowcow

I hate this too. My metabolism used to do all the work for me, until I started getting older and now I have to put in a lot of work to keep my fitness at bay. Gone are the days of living carelessly. I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't take so much time out of my day. I usually exercise for 2 hours a day now and I honestly would rather use those hours somewhere else.

chabella

All Lady
This is why after I started dropping weight I vowed to not stop moving. Its very easy to put it on but its not nearly as easy to drop it once you got it. Right now I am within ten pounds of my goal weight, its an estimate so I will know if its right when I get there.

siddh

It all depends on how we have managed ourselves over time. I have seen people gaining weight and caught up in diseases in their mid thirties. While some have managed to keep their weight under control and been living a drug free life in mid fifties also. So, if we can start thinking about healthy ways of living at an early stage then we will face less problems as we grow older.

amelia

Hey! This really hit home for me - and not only in the weight loss category. I had a VERY slight amount of alcohol last night, at a birthday party, and today I feel like I went on a bender. Clearly it's because I'm older, and my body is becoming more sensitive - yes, responsive - to everything I do... it's talking back, in other words.
Also, I find that I get cravings for things that are actually (well, often enough) good for me, as though I were pregnant or something.

shaunche

This is true but it can be overcome by eating the right foods and exercising. The problem for most people is they are running on glucose, this is not normal from an evolutionary point of view, and our health suffers greatly as a consequence.

EthanWang

This situation is obviously inevitable. We all know that when we get older our bodies will become more sensative to everything. The most suitable solution could be go on a healthy diet , exercising regularly (remember not to do some hard type like weigh lifting because it will eventually bring negative effects ).You can also try some Canxi-Provider like some kinds of milk! Hope this helped!