LF Field Notes on survival herbalism

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
I am looking for notes or in-depth herbalism books catered for Canadian herbs found in Newfoundland.

really good web reference for Canadian herbalism, edible and healing, for plants that grow in Newfoundland

I am doing this newfoundland survival project, where myself and a few others set out into the dense forest and document our teachings and health whilst camping deep in the newfoundland woods for 20 days and living off the land.

Put your Knowledge to the test and help me survive the next 20 days with my friends, lol this is the job i was assigned and i am way over my head, we have to play the rolls of a tribe and live off the land, this will be put on tv and I'll give a shout out to the herbalist hut on the documentary. it will be edited and aired in a few months. just need the herb info, I am looking for quality over quantity for this info. but if theres a lot of quality info that's kick *** lol

wanderingherb

Nature,
First: what you are doing is awesome. I learned plants by doing a survival thing.

Second: We took someone experienced for a few days at least to learn from them. It's cold this time of year and many plants are sleeping. Contact some herbalists because many of us are into this type of thing. It fun we think. LOL

Third: The herbs you seek. You are in North America. The plants in Newfoundland will be the same plants for the North American east coast. Broaden your range. Plants are not isolates of countries or states. And many herbs are actually weeds and they are spread throughout North America! Including up here.

For this time of year focus on barks of trees. What trees in the area and then find out if these tree's, the bark has been used and if there are any that have nutritious quality. Watch to see what the animals eat. If animals eat it, its generally safe for humans to eat it. Roots. You'll want to check into roots of bushes and such. Keep in mind this time of year...all is sleeping.

Coastal...if you are on the coast and not inland remember the beach is a feast when the tide goes out. BUT also remember if you eat sealife, it is salty and you MUST have a fresh water source otherwise you'll be defeating the purpose of eating. Bladderwrack I believe grows just about everywhere. It is also known as popweed. In newfoundland maybe different name. I found this site which may have some info you 'd like
Edible and Medicinal Plant Books

Nature

oh damn this is great stuff!! i especially like this link, i recently bought 2 detailed books from amazon and it's like what you can use for every ailment, once i get them i'll be doig a lot of posts for everyone to add to there notes, thank you wanderingherb. :D if you want any more info about the trip, i'll tell you about it :)

wanderingherb

:D;)
I'm getting to be a bit of a whimp in my maturing! 20 days in Newfoundland in the dead of winter, surviving with other whom i do not know...well catch me 7 years ago I'd be all over it, but now no!! LOL! I would love to hear about it and bet everyone else here would also. You must keep us informed.

I really in fact this time of year HIGHLY suggest a trained professional for a bit. You must realize you can freeze right now. Food is scarce. Bears are sleeping and animals are scrounging turning thin. There is a reason winters are winters.

OH...most important. Emergencies do happen. You MUST have arrangements in case of an emergency. No one needs to lose their life over this. People can also go bonkers and may need to be transported out for not only yours but their safety mentally.

wanderingherb

Nature

we have taken everything into account, my friend James will be getting someone to stay with us. we also have gear, not to much or what would be the point. but at the pase it's going, im %80 sure it will be in spring when it starts to warm up.

wanderingherb

Thank-God. I was getting a little worried! :)
winter is harsh and good luck finding a bunny hopping around even.

I hope this is an excellent learning experience for you! It does sound like fun. Sounds like you are really doing your research to and trying to prepare. Just remember there is that thing called Murphy's Law. :)

wanderingherb

jason

Have a great day
what do you mean Jason?
Find a goody to send you. Something like a t-shirt or mug or something. Between everything going on, I've also been working with my father on his side project of doing heat transfers and similar things.