Lemon grass oil - great insect repellent

abherbz

A few drops of lemon grass oil in a base oil of your choice (my favourite is olive oil) rubbed into the skin can repel those mosquitoes so you wont get bitten to bits this summer

Joyce

Wow! Thanks. Are there any other oils good for bugs and do they repel all bugs or just certain ones? I always prefer to go herbal than the other stuff.

Joyce

Is lavender a good repellent as well? I have heard mixed reviews about it, what other ones are good? Especially for use with kids and pets?

Healthy4us

Great timely post! Thank you for sharing! I have never tried this before, but it sounds like a great natural way to go! Insects just love me! On the cat mint, how would you use that? Is that an oil, or leaves? If it is in the leaf form, would they have to be ground up? Is this also added to an oil such as Olive Oil? Thanks for your advice.

enthusiast

I've been looking for a natural insect repellent, so I'm very happy to learn about some. I hate the commercial repellents, especially when they are sprayed on the body, but I hate getting bit by bugs worse. Thank you for posting!

StingingNettle

This sounds like a great solution. I'll have to look for some lemon grass oil the next time I'm at the herb store. I hate spraying my kids with chemicals, so we usually end up going without a repellent.

Joyce

My herbal health store yesterday gave me a recipe for a great bug repellent, I thought I'd share it.

Equal parts of:

Citronella
Lavender
Pine
Balsom Fir
Cedarwood
Lemon
Eucalyptus
Rose Geranium
Cloves
Peppermint

It can be put in a base of coconut oil.