Iron Supplements

captain

My mother is taking iron supplements when she has a menstrual period because she is anemic. I wonder if males also need to take this kind of supplement. What instances would a male need to take iron supplements?

jason

Have a great day
I do not take any iron supplements specifically. I have general vitamins/mineral pills I take daily. I also try to cook on the cast iron cookware as much as possible. You can get iron just by cooking on them. Just stay away from anything acidic like tomatoes.

Janet

I do not take any iron supplements specifically. I have general vitamins/mineral pills I take daily. I also try to cook on the cast iron cookware as much as possible. You can get iron just by cooking on them. Just stay away from anything acidic like tomatoes.
I have never heard of this, but I guess it is worth a try.

Is it true that too much iron can cause blood clots? I know that leafy greens are high in iron contents and I have heard of people who eat them all the time getting blood clots.

smellsrfun

I didn't know that men ever had to take Iron. I guess if they are anemic they would need to take Iron too. They aren't losing blood though like we are? I just don't know why they would need the supplement.

CindyJ

I have heard that men need to be careful about too much iron as it can lead to several health issues. Women are actually helped in this situation because of menstuation. Men can help avoid this issue by simply donating blood.