If you had to pick one food...

StingingNettle

If you had to pick one food to try to add more of to your diet, what would it be?

I've heard of foods like spinach being described as "super foods". Is there one food that is worth really focusing on getting more of? Or is it better to work on all of your diet at once, do you think?

I<3Peppermint

I would add more squash. I don't eat much but it's a nutritious and cheap food which can add many vitamins to your diet. I've tried but I just can't seem to find a way to prepare it that I will eat.

Jasmyne

Probably fish... I eat a fair amount of shellfish, but it's salmon and white fish that I don't eat a great deal of, and probably should.

Hubby was raised in a fishing village, however, and can't stand fish.... so if it comes into the house, I'll be the only one eating it. :)

question

I would add spinach or broccoli. I have been trying to eat more of the really deep green vegetables, but not really doing a good job!

StingingNettle

I would add more squash. I don't eat much but it's a nutritious and cheap food which can add many vitamins to your diet. I've tried but I just can't seem to find a way to prepare it that I will eat.
Hmm, didn't expect this one. Since squash is such a sort of non-flavored food, I sort of think of it as nutritionally neutral. Of course, that can't be true! But I never knew it was big on vitamins.

I assume you've tried fried squash? That's a reasonable way to eat. Though the only way I actually really like it is grilled.

unhealthy

Probably fish... I eat a fair amount of shellfish, but it's salmon and white fish that I don't eat a great deal of, and probably should.

Hubby was raised in a fishing village, however, and can't stand fish.... so if it comes into the house, I'll be the only one eating it. :)
The only type of fish I like is Mrs. Paul's with catsup and mac and cheese on the side so I take fish oil pills. If you get them make sure to get the ones with the extra coating because burping fish oil is horrible.

I need more fruits in my diet.

chabella

All Lady
I only like a select few veggies, so I am guessing it would be something veggie based as that tends to me the one thing I do not get enough of. Now as to which one, I have no idea right now.

StingingNettle

The only type of fish I like is Mrs. Paul's with catsup and mac and cheese on the side so I take fish oil pills. If you get them make sure to get the ones with the extra coating because burping fish oil is horrible.
Another trick I learned is that you can freeze your fish oil capsules. By the time they thaw, they are supposedly further in your GI tract, so you can't burp them up.

Some brands are also better about not causing burps.

Myrrh

I can't think of a particular food right now, but I think it would be veggies. I'm so loyal to broccoli, potatoes, asparagus, and lettuce, so I guess I have to try others.

enthusiast

I've read that asparagus is a great source of many nutrients, so even though I don't like it that much, I would add it to my diet. Maybe I'd start liking it after a while.

chabella

All Lady
I do not mind spinach but I can never eat it plain. I know I should have more veggies but right now our family eating habits are crazy. My spouse is on a fruit only kick, my youngest is still hating even somewhat normal "adult like dinners" (anything with fruit or veggies, unless its drenched in something sweet). I refuse to eat fish though.