How often do you need a Bone Density test?

DixieMarie

I was wondering how many have had a bone density test here? I am going for my first one next week and was wondering how often you really need to get one?

shaunche

It really depends on how healthy you are. Exercise and a nutritious diet will maintain bone density in later life. People who live a sedentary and unhealthy life will be much more vulnerable to problems associated with bone density like osteoporosis.

Irma

I had my first at age 43 as a baseline. I'm now 53 and just starting menopause, so now the doctor wants me to have another one this year.

Hyacinth

I haven't had a bone density test. My almost senior aunt had one several years ago. She just had her routine check-up and I think she is a candidate for the test for the second time.

chabella

All Lady
I would love to know the age too. I doubt I might qualify but it never hurts to know. Plus for me after a few wrecks and a very bad habit of cracking knuckles its always better "safe than sorry".

konstantina

It is always a good idea to have one early. This will help you know your normal bone density and it can serve as reference for future examinations. So if you are around 50, it still counts. Bone density problems usually start later on. If you have regular exercise you can reduce the problem. A simple light exercise is a major help. Try walking three times a week and you will probably not have anything to worry about. Now about the tests frequency, it depends on the findings. If there is something you need to monitro, you may have tests throughout the year. It is rarely a surprising condition though. I mean if you are not too thin and not in pain, you are probably fine.

artistry

I would not think that your bones would change that much within a 10 year period. Unless there is something, that is drastically draining the Calcium out of your bones. Also, taking a combination of Calcium, Zinc and Magnesium every now and then, should help. With a bit of exercise thrown in.