How many miles to you walk/run per day?

j_pin

I am not always the most healthy person, but I really do try hard to be. For the past few months I have made it a point to make myself walk at least three miles per day. I feel much better on the days I do this than the days I don't. I always wonder though, is 3 miles of exercise enough? How much do you do per day?

Jessi

That's really awesome! I actually don't get anywhere near that even. Do you do any other types of exercise? Cardio is good for your heart or you could do some strength training. I think 3 miles is plenty of walking, but you could potentially cut back on that if time is a limiter, and use that time to do other types of exercise.

Sugarhill

I think three miles a day is a great goal, especially if you can actually do it consistently. Don't forget, unless these three miles are just a part of you daily movement and not a dedicated walk, then everything else that you do will add into your level of activity.

Maybe in a few months, you'll add another mile or start walking uphill during your walk, but you have a great base to build on.

shaunche

Walking is very good for you. It depends what you are asking, is it enough for health and wellness or is it enough for fat loss? It is enough for health but not enough for fitness. Depending on the intensity of your walk. You could increase intensity by adding resistant in the form of a weighted rucksack or ankle and wrist weights.

chabella

All Lady
If you are moving then you are not sitting, think of it that way, you are moving & that is the key. Sitting does nothing but even a nice brisk walk can help out more than laying around doing absolutely nothing. For me I average 7-8 miles five times a week on an exercise bike (I have a bad back that limits what I can do).

dissn_it

I am a bit older but I try to get at least one mile of walking in at least three times a week. This is in addition to all the walking that I do on a daily basis, which does add up to more than you realize. I also do pilates and yoga on the days that I am not doing the mile walks.

lettuce

I usually clock in at around 2.5 miles on my treadmill. No, I don't think this is enough, because it's not strenuous enough to really get my heart going.

Parker

I probably walk around 3 miles per day, sometimes more. It is good exercise. I would love to start back jogging/running again though. I need to lose a few more pounds before I can do. But I have also seen the Biggest Loser contestants run and they are a lot heavier than me.

Laurasav

You're doing great! Keep it up. I love exercising. My favorite is riding my bike. We'll ride bikes during the warmer months. I also faithfully ride my exercise bike 8 miles a day in 30 minutes time. I work up a good sweat! I would like a treadmill, but we don't have the room for one right now. Hope to build an exercise room in the future!

Sugarhill

I probably walk around 3 miles per day, sometimes more. It is good exercise. I would love to start back jogging/running again though. I need to lose a few more pounds before I can do. But I have also seen the Biggest Loser contestants run and they are a lot heavier than me.
Jogging and running is so incredibly hard on your body. Please try to limit your running to a good track or on grass. It's no point in hurting yourself in the long run trying to lose weight.

shaunche

Sugarhill is right, jogging and running is very taxing on the joints, causing wear and tear over time. Running on soft ground or a good quality running track would be preferable. Also, try doing sprints, it is much more effective for burning fat and cardiovascular health.

I definitely think that 3 miles a day is enough. It is more than what the average person walks or runs. I only walk about a half mile a day, but I am constantly running after my active toddler, which gives me even more exercise. I also try to do some sit ups and push ups every other day as well. I personally think you are doing great. Keep up the good work!

Sugarhill

Also, Parker, since you said that you want to lose a few more pounds before you really get back into running :(, try doing a modified suicide on a basketball court. You don't have to bend down and touch each line, but if you can do the running from line to line, that will help you as it would fall very close to the category of HIIT and then you can step up to the sprints that shunche suggested.

Parker

Jogging and running is so incredibly hard on your body. Please try to limit your running to a good track or on grass. It's no point in hurting yourself in the long run trying to lose weight.
Yes, it can be hard on the body. For years, I used to run 15 to 17 miles a week. I had a chronic injury that stopped me from jogging. I miss it. I ran mostly on a track. Most runners don't like running on a track. I actually enjoyed it. Running on grass, sand and dirt and good. Running on the concrete will put too much stress on the body.

Sugarhill

Have you tried running on a mini trampoline? The give on them is great, it's like running on sand and you'll be able to run rain or shine because you're in your house.

Parker

Have you tried running on a mini trampoline? The give on them is great, it's like running on sand and you'll be able to run rain or shine because you're in your house.
Several years I had the idea of jumping on a trampoline for exercise. I'm not sure where I got the idea from. It didn't work out. I'm top heavy and it was too much bouncing, if you know what I mean. ;)

I used to run no matter the weather. I had water resistant running clothes. It had to be raining big cats and dogs to make me skip a run. I would run in fog even if I could on see a few feet in front of me. I was driven and in tip-tip shape. I know those days are gone, but I do miss running. :(

Sugarhill

That's interesting. I would think the bouncing would occur on land or trampoline, but maybe there was more...bounce to the ounce? :D Sometimes, I crack myself up!

Anyway, strap them bad boys down and do some suicides. That will get everything you need done and then some. Just find a good football field when you get back to where you can run.

Parker

That's interesting. I would think the bouncing would occur on land or trampoline, but maybe there was more...bounce to the ounce? :D Sometimes, I crack myself up!

Anyway, strap them bad boys down and do some suicides. That will get everything you need done and then some. Just find a good football field when you get back to where you can run.
There was definitely more bounce to the ounce on the trampoline! :p There's a community college nearby with a running track and a softball field when I could run on grass if I wanted. Off...to check out the latest motion control running shoes. ;)

Sugarhill

Yes, please keep all of your running over there as that would help you on the regular, but especially if you had a previous injury.

Hyacinth

I like to walk as my main form of exercise. I don't think I cover 3 miles though. I think that 3 miles is not bad. I have just somewhere that walking 4 miles a day is a good target.