Homemade toothpaste

hunysukle

Have any of you ever made toothpaste before? I sometimes use plain baking soda whenever I run out of toothpaste. I wonder if there's another alternative to baking soda that tastes better.

Suzie

I have never heard of homemade toothpaste before. I have heard of using baking soda. I think anything that tastes good would defeat the purpose.

SEA81

My mom used to mix baking soda and peroxide to make toothpaste. She also had me add baking soda to my toothpaste before they started adding it in commercial brands.

I wounder if you could add some kind of mint to the baking soda to make it taste better?

I haven't tried doing that although I have heard of people using baking soda on their teeth. It could be a good source of calcium I guess but it definitely will help the teeth achieve that pearly white glow!

2Nature

I remember eating toothpaste when I was a kid because it was so delicious. I believe it was some tasty strawberry flavor. :D It would be nice to know how to make paste of your own.

AnonaMoss

I've never made homemade toothpaste, but I have used Tom's. Unfortunately, the natural toothpaste did not leave my teeth feeling fully clean. I've used baking soda and water before; it's too rough on the enamel and gums.

Parker

My mother uses baking soda and peroxide on her teeth. I did try it, but it felt a bit rough on my teeth too. So now, I just Trader Joe's natural toothpaste and use a peroxide rinse.

Tecca_Nina

Baking soda does work quite well. Another thing that works very well is hydrogen peroxide, but make sure not to use this too much.

Mrs. Rogers

I honestly would be afraid to use something 'homemade' on my teeth. I remember my husband telling me that his grandma used to say that they chewed some sort of tree bark when she was little to clean their teeth.

I don't personally use a homemade toothpaste but a friend of mine does. She said that her dentist told her this is perfectly safe. This is her recipe below if anyone is interested in making their own.

2/3 cup baking soda
1-2 tsp peppermint extract(or add your favorite flavor)
4 tsp fine sea salt (this is optional as some may find the toothpaste too salty, but it give a little extra scrubbing powder)

Good luck!!

I've never thought of making homemade toothpaste before but this recipe for it seems simple enough. Peppermint extract would be a must for me, I love peppermint.

Lena51

I have never made toothpaste before but I do know that baking soda alone is the best thing for your teeth. It keeps them nice and white and I remember, that's all we used when we were going to school and never had a bad tooth until we started using this manufactured potion that they started to selling in the stores and then everyone had to start heading to the dentist, wonder why? That is the best formula that you can use for your teeth.

I don't personally use a homemade toothpaste but a friend of mine does. She said that her dentist told her this is perfectly safe. This is her recipe below if anyone is interested in making their own.

2/3 cup baking soda
1-2 tsp peppermint extract(or add your favorite flavor)
4 tsp fine sea salt (this is optional as some may find the toothpaste too salty, but it give a little extra scrubbing powder)

Good luck!!
Hey, I should definitely try this! I want to have whiter teeth so I want to use baking soda with a certain flavor so that it would be tolerable. I would have to think about the sea salt, though. Thanks! :)

I've made toothpaste out of baking soda and salt before. It's gross, but it really did whiten and remove the plaque from my teeth.

I haven't tried nor have I heard of one except for the use of baking soda. Although some would also use salt along with it. And if you have vitamin D capsules, maybe that could also work.

I used to use baking soda as toothpaste all the time. I found that it worked better than commercial toothpaste. I've never heard of using vitamin D capsules, though. I probably won't try it; I have vitamin D capsules that were prescribed for me to take one per week, and I would be a little worried about overdoing.

Jessi

I just use a little baking soda, too. It doesn't take very much, so I don't mind the slightly gross taste for the couple minutes. I end up feeling like my teeth are cleaner than when I use those really sugary-tasting ones from the store, too, so no complaints from me.

AnonaMoss

I think you have to be careful with baking soda because it can compromise your enamel. I would look at the ingredients in a natural toothpaste (Tom's for example) and make my own recipe. I purchased a toothpaste from Tom's before that was a blend of baking soda and oils like peppermint and neem.

ssamcd

I have used baking soda many times. I find it makes my teeth very clean. I am going to try the toothpaste recipe but I am going to add a drop of peroxide. Years ago baking soda was used as the method for brushing teeth until the commercial toothpaste came out. :)

dissn_it

I have never tried to make my own toothpaste but I have heard of people using baking soda before. I have never tried that either because I know I would gag on the taste of it. I can see adding the peppermint oil to help the flavor of it but it sounds like it can be quite damging to the enamel. I don't think I would want to risk that because once the enamel is gone, I don't think you can get it back.