Homemade Hair Treatments

Carolynn

I was searching the internet for some ways to make hair conditioner at home, and I ran across this article. I thought some of you ladies might enjoy it so I decided to share it. :)

Melissa

Thanks for the post!!! I actually use eggs and yogurt once a week already. I use it as a deep conditioning treatment and I can vouch that it works wonders!

misumaru15

This is actually a good starter article. Avocado is a good and healthy fat. It helps the hair and helps moisturize. Honey is a humectant and draws in moisture from the air. I would also like to add apple cider vinegar. I didn't see it on the list and it's great for hair.

Carolynn

I color my hair so I have a question about the apple cider vinegar. Will the vinegar strip the color out of my hair? I got some yogurt at the grocery store today to give it a try. :)

shaunche

Olive oil and lemon juice is a good natural conditioner. Extra virgin coconut oil is another popular natural conditioner choice. You need to massage the oil in your hands to slightly warm it up and then rub it into your scalp.

I color my hair so I have a question about the apple cider vinegar. Will the vinegar strip the color out of my hair? I got some yogurt at the grocery store today to give it a try. :)
Olive oil and lemon juice is a good natural conditioner. Extra virgin coconut oil is another popular natural conditioner choice. You need to massage the oil in your hands to slightly warm it up and then rub it into your scalp.
I don't color my hair but I've never had any problems with vinegar stripping the natural color from my hair. I'd be wary of lemon juice, though. I'm told that some people use it to lighten their hair, and as such I'd think it would do that even if you didn't want it to.

shaunche

I don't color my hair but I've never had any problems with vinegar stripping the natural color from my hair. I'd be wary of lemon juice, though. I'm told that some people use it to lighten their hair, and as such I'd think it would do that even if you didn't want it to.
That's interesting. Is this based on anecdotal evidence? Lemons are actually alkaline, not acidic like vinegar, thus I would have thought vinegar would lighten hair colour, not lemon juice.

That's interesting. Is this based on anecdotal evidence? Lemons are actually alkaline, not acidic like vinegar, thus I would have thought vinegar would lighten hair colour, not lemon juice.
Actually, yeah, it is based on anecdotal evidence, haha, but I have very dark hair and I use vinegar in it all the time.

Jessi

I have used mayonnaise and eggs before. Well, not at the same time, but as separate treatments. It made my hair feel so soft, but the effects didn't last, so I'm not sure it was worth it.

thatgirl

I swear by coconut oil. Apply to damp hair and wrap up, just like a hot oil treatment, and wash out after a few minutes. I've even used a small amount to smooth frizzy hair.

I have been using mayonnaise as a hair treatment for years now and so far it's really effective. I don't apply it everyday because I'm not really a fan of the smell. But I use twice a month followed by my favorite conditioner. My hair is softer and stronger. :)

I swear by coconut oil. Apply to damp hair and wrap up, just like a hot oil treatment, and wash out after a few minutes. I've even used a small amount to smooth frizzy hair.
Yes, I have seen women doing that. Not that I would try. It just looks a bit too messy for me. Olive oil is supposed to work just as well. I have actually tried olive oil on my hair. Just a little bit. And I didn't wash off afterwards. Quite a good substitute for commercial hair oil, actually.

Yes, I have seen women doing that. Not that I would try. It just looks a bit too messy for me. Olive oil is supposed to work just as well. I have actually tried olive oil on my hair. Just a little bit. And I didn't wash off afterwards. Quite a good substitute for commercial hair oil, actually.
It's much better than commercial hair oil, actually. Commercial hair oil is usually made of olive oil, haha!

chabella

All Lady
I might need to try that out. I have cut and colored before but nothing more than the general stuff you can do at home and without extra hands. My hair needs a little love, might check it out this evening and see how it turns out.

gina121

The white of egg, yogurt and olive oil left on for half hour, then shampoo'ed every week has conditioned and tamed my unruly hair considerably. In the absence of a conditioner, I occasionally apply a very tiny quantity of coconut oil soon after a shampoo to damp hair, before drying it. Keeps the frizz in check and hair looks soft.:)

Lena51

The best treatment that I have found for me is coconut oil and coconut milk. That treatment is really amazing for what it can do for your hair. I love the way it makes your hair feel and it becomes more thicker and fuller. I have also heard about the olive oil treatment but has never tried it for my hair yet because I am so satified with the coconut oil and coconut milk. But I will try it your way and see what happens. I love all the natural treatments that we can use for us.

misumaru15

I love coconut milk too. It is really hydrating. I had heard about it on youtube. I thought it would smell sweet and sugary. It doesn't. It's also in some of the better shampoos and conditioner.

Carolynn

I have been using mayonnaise as a hair treatment for years now and so far it's really effective. I don't apply it everyday because I'm not really a fan of the smell. But I use twice a month followed by my favorite conditioner. My hair is softer and stronger. :)
I have always heard this and considered trying it, but mayonnaise is expensive! I'll have to try a store brand to check this tip out. :)

I have always heard this and considered trying it, but mayonnaise is expensive! I'll have to try a store brand to check this tip out. :)
Mayonnaise is not expensive. You can get a jar for less than two dollars, and it will last you a good long while. Go for the bargain brand at the 99cent store; labels won't make a difference here.

It's much better than commercial hair oil, actually. Commercial hair oil is usually made of olive oil, haha!
Are you sure about that? I thought that commercial hair oil is made of re-cycled cooking oil. Just kidding. No, I don't really think that commercial hair oil is made of olive oil because if it is, then it would have been advertised as such since olive oil can be marketed as a premium hair oil.