Herbs For Cooking

Treehugger

What herbs do you grow for cooking? I have Rosemary but would like to plant others. Are there any others that you use as a staple for cooking in your garden?

dziomek

I am a big fan of chives, as I use them in many dishes year round. I keep a pot of them in my brightest window throughout the winter so I can have fresh chives for my cooking. I also like using garlic, but haven't been able to grow it. I do buy it from the grocery store, but it would be nice to grow my own. Other herbs I have grown and used in the past are basil, oregano, rosemary and cilantro.

xenon

Parsley is always added to most of my meals. Either cooked in the meal or added as a garnish. Garlic is another one added to most meals. The health benefits of adding herbs to meals can never be under rated.:)

I've been wanting to try to grow garlic for a long time but just have not gotten around to giving it a try. I do like rosemary and parsley and like to try some new ones each year. Herbs are fun to grow.

shaunche

I grow a multitude of herbs in my garden - sage, oregano, dill, chives, thyme, mint, bay, rosemary and basil. The only herb I buy from the grocery store is coriander, I haven't had much success growing coriander and it's one of my favourite herbs.

dissn_it

I grow mine on my kitchen window sill so they are nearby when I am cooking. I have basil, thyme, chives, oregano, sage and french tarragon right now. These are the herbs that I use the most often in cooking anyway so I decided to just grow my own.

I grow quite a few herbs to cook with. I grow basil, chives and garlic. I love adding all three of these herbs to so many different types of food that I make. Herbs are very good for you as well as well as add great flavor to your food!

Laurasav

I love cooking with herbs. They're the best way to flavor any recipe. I always try to stay away from using salt. Herbs are healthier and add such unique flavor. I'm quite fond of basil. My newest love is cilantro. Unfortunately, I don't grow my own herbs. Every time I've tried growing herbs in the past, they just quickly die. I give up!

I am a fan of cilantro, rosemary, sage, mint and thyme. I line my garden path with culinary herbs and delight in their pungent fragrance. Perennial herbs are the easiest to grow. Plant in well-drained, nutrient rich soil in a full sun location. Many culinary herbs repel insects and are great companion plants for the vegetable garden. This year I am adding dill. It is growing well but I am not sure when it is ready to harvest. Does anyone have a suggestion?