Herb For Vomiting

Aletha

One year, when I was younger, I had an episode of vomiting that was really putting me under. I didn't have health insurance at the time so I didn't want to go to the emergency room. I had heard that ground goldenseal would stop vomiting so I tried it. It worked very well. The only thing I would have improved would have been to put it in a capsule. I used it in a bit of cold water in a tea cup and it was very bitter. I thought since it tasted that bad I would throw it up, but I didn't. I now keep goldenseal on hand for problems. I used about 1/4 of a teaspoon of it.

Don't take this as advice to treat yourself with it. If you think you need to go to the emergency room, go. But it is a simple thing to try. YMMV

SoftRain

I've never even heard of goldenseal, but thanks for the tip. I may try it; do you think it'll work for morning sickness? I'm not pregnant but hope to be soon, and last time I tried ginger tea, which did nothing for me.

Lilly

I would ask your OB before trying it when pregnant because Goldenseal is not on the list of generally recognized as safe herbs. You could try peppermint tea for nausea and you can also take Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Benadryl works the same way that anti-nausea drugs like Promethazine and Phenergran do but you don't have to have a prescription. :)

Aletha

Thank you for saying that Lilly. ANY preparation taken by a pregnant woman MUST be cleared by your doctor before you proceed. It's imperative for your child and your health to make sure anything is safe for you. There are even things that you SHOULD take such as an iron supplement given by your doctor, to help prevent neural tube defects such as Spina Bifida.

Hyacinth

I am not familiar with goldenseal. Peppermint is said to be helpful in easing vomiting. This herb calms down the digestive system. Ginger is another natural remedy for nausea and vomiting.

Lyra

I had no idea that goldenseal was an anti-emetic. That is very helpful information. I generally don't look to take things by mouth when I am sick to my stomach, but knowing that this works, I might be willing to try it.