Heartworm treatment

CeeCee

My vet recommends monthly heartworm pills every month all year round for my dogs, but I don't see how it's necessary to do it in the colder months. For the dog owners here, do you treat year round?

lauraabbe

For the past 5 years, I have been giving my pets heartworm preventative, from March through October, taking the winter off. The important thing to remember is to have the vet do a heartworm/Lyme's bloodtest(my vet charges $20) prior to reinstating meds.

locococo

Pills are easier to maintain total control than topical treatments, I can tell you this now as my dog has recently been tested and came back positive for HW's. Topicals can rub or wash off, with the pills (even crushed in food so they can not taste it) are a better chance to prevent than dealing with the after care like the treatments we will be starting soon.

CeeCee

March to October - cool, thanks :) We went to the vet today and he gave me a six month supply of the chews, but I think I'm just going to give her one more treatment this year and save the rest for next year.