HEALTHY SNACKS TO FILL THE TUMMY

ssamcd

Here are some healthy snacks to keep your tummy full and your waistline trim. Foods high in fiber will leave you feeling satisfied longer. Here are a few things to keep at work for when you are feeling hungry.

1) Bag of carrots and a small container of hummus at work.

2) Whole grain crackers and low fat cheese is nice also for a quick afternoon snack.

3) My favorite is all natural peanut butter, celery, and apples.

4) Yogurt, raisins and granola.

5) Nutrition bars. They work for me at curbing the hunger. :)

Sugarhill

Nutrition bars are usually so filled with unneeded calories, preservatives and other various unhealthy things that they really aren't nutritious. The only thing you can probably count on is protein, but at what cost?

1/2 cup of blueberries can fend off hunger pangs. Protein shakes with or without milk always will curb an appetite and actually be healthy for you. A handful of almonds will also do the trick.

SoftRain

Thanks for the list, but there is stuff I dislike on 4 out of the 5 suggestions. I guess I'm stuck with #2 alone. I really wish I liked yogurt, peanut butter and hummus as they can be healthy but I just don't. I don't mind not liking nutrition bars, though.

Hyacinth

I always have whole grain crackers in my bag or in my desk drawer. It is what I grab when hunger pangs strike. For breakfast, I like having a bowl of cereal with fresh fruit toppings. The fiber in them keeps me full, thus I can avoid snacking in the morning.

I like the fresh fruit, especially the blueberries. If I feel like I want more I will top the berries off with some fat free cool whip which is good. You really feel like you are having a great dessert but it's all low calories.

dissn_it

I like nuts to have for a good snack to hold me over until the next meal time. I really like almonds. Whole grain crackers are another good snack that works well, too. If you have either of these with a full glass of water, you won't be hungry for quite awhile!

Laurasav

Here are some healthy snacks to keep your tummy full and your waistline trim. Foods high in fiber will leave you feeling satisfied longer. Here are a few things to keep at work for when you are feeling hungry.

1) Bag of carrots and a small container of hummus at work.

2) Whole grain crackers and low fat cheese is nice also for a quick afternoon snack.

3) My favorite is all natural peanut butter, celery, and apples.

4) Yogurt, raisins and granola.

5) Nutrition bars. They work for me at curbing the hunger. :)
I love eating some baby carrots when I'm hungry, in between meal times. They do help you get through those hunger pangs! The cracker and cheese would be really good too. Sometimes that's all I eat for the entire day is crackers and cheese so I don't often think of it as a "snack." It's often my entire breakfast/lunch! I don't often eat much during the day, but I'm ravenous at night. Bad habit, I know! I like yogurt and granola together. I'll eat that for breakfast sometimes.

shaunche

Wholegrain crackers and low-fat cheese sums up what is wrong with our notion of a healthy diet, the conventional wisdom on healthy nutrition. Fat is not the problem, grains are.

Peanut butter contains aflatoxin, one of the most harmful compounds found in food, it also contains lots of omega-6. Raisins could be considered healthy in strict moderation.

Ja'cobeC

I always eat carrots and it fills me up too. The other thing that fills me up sometimes is sunflowers seeds. Fruits also like apples and watermelons.

gina121

A bowl of steamed broccoli and/or cabbage; or, if I don't have access to either, I go for a handful of nuts - usually pecan or hazel; followed by a glass of water. It fills me up for hours.

beckyv1265

I love yogurt and trail mixes. I am nust over granola and dried fruits and nuts. The kids love peaunut butter and grahm crackers. I stay away from carrots due to the thyroid disorder and the high calorie. Carrots have a higher glycemic index than table sugar, so diabetics need to use caution. Carrots also have a high concentration of Beta carotene that can be toxic to people with thyroid disorder. So I have to watch beta carotene levels in red and yellow vegetables.

shaunche

Snacks should not 'fill the tummy', a snack should be small, not something which will give you a 'full' feeling. By the way, that feeling of fullness is often just bloating. There's a difference between being satiated and being bloated, the two are often confused.

misumaru15

These are all of these good snacks. I like hummus with carrots. This would be good to have at work for a snack.

Parker

I like to eat sliced red and yellow peppers. They don't have the aftertaste that green peppers have. They are also delicious with hummus. Sliced jicama has a nice crunch and they go well with hummus too.

Cashews and granola are very good in a pinch. Yogurt with a little trailmix, granola or dried fruit.

Meow

I like to eat sliced red and yellow peppers. They don't have the aftertaste that green peppers have. They are also delicious with hummus. Sliced jicama has a nice crunch and they go well with hummus too.

Cashews and granola are very good in a pinch. Yogurt with a little trailmix, granola or dried fruit.
Green peppers have an aftertaste?

I've definitely been doing something wrong all my life to not notice!

Parker

Green peppers have an aftertaste?

I've definitely been doing something wrong all my life to not notice!
I definitely get an aftertaste with raw green peppers. Roasted one are fine, but I can't eat them raw. If I had first tasted them raw, I would have never tried them roasted.

Meow

Weird, really goes to show how different things can taste to different people. Honestly I find them almost flavourless - in a good way, similar to water.

These are all great snacks. A lot of us are guilty of grabbing a handful of chips when we get the munchies, just because they are there and we want to snack. However, you can never stop at one handful of chips. Chips are addicting and they always have us coming back for more. Fruit and vegetables are a great healthy snack to have on hand. I always carry a granola bar in my purse, in case I need it throughout the day when I am out. Thanks for posting these great tips! :)

My favorite snack is the palm date.

It's compact and keeps well. Sweet, too, but not too sweet. Inside it has a little moisture so I can eat it without having to drink water. Of course, it's packed with nutrients. Actually it's possible to live solely on palm dates for a few days without any problems.