Hand washing

Novembre

I believe most parents have taught this habit to their kids. Wash your hand when toileting, before and after meal, etc. Though, I am curious if you have also taught them the proper techniques of hand washing.

Cathy

I used the "ABC Song" to teach my kids how to wash their hands. We sang the song and forced ourselves to scrub our hands the entire length of time it took to sing the song all the way through. This, I've read, is the approximate amount of time we should wash. I find I still sing the song in my head at times. Those rest-stop bathrooms that automatically go off are always going off too soon.

freshfoodie

I was always told that you should sing at least one round of Old McDonald. I tend to err on the side of caution and wash for at least 2. I am a hand washing freak though and wash constantly.

Greyhair

I love the idea of singing the songs while washing your hands. Not only it will guarantee proper hand washing, but it will also make hand washing more fun.

kamcalli

Hand washing timing as well as brushing teeth timing is missed by many parents, I know this happened before when our youngest spent the weekend at a friends house. She came back sick and her teeth were wrecked. I sat down and talked to the mom about it and she felt bad for not knowing.

ShelbyM

Yes, I teach them not only to scrub long enough, but details like pointing your hands downward and getting the paper towel and using it to turn off the tap.

Myrrh

We let the little ones watch videos on proper hand washing. When they wash their hands, we guide and remind them of the steps. Singing while washing is also a good idea. It makes hand washing more fun.

wanderingherb

LOL. When I was bartending it was "Happy Birthday To me...." that we sang. LOL. In fact the health department would ask and if didn't know the answer-boom you get a mark.

strawberry

I've read that you should scrub your hands for about 30 seconds. That can seem like an awfully long time, so I can see where singing might be a good way to ensure that you're washing for long enough.

Paisley

I was born in the 1950s and we seldom thought about washing our hands. I know we did it, because I remember taking baths every night and brushing our teeth and all the normal stuff. I was grown before I heard of dental floss. I'm still here. We also grew up without fluoridated water because we had a well. Do we all obsess too much these days?

wildcherry

I was born in the 1950s and we seldom thought about washing our hands. I know we did it, because I remember taking baths every night and brushing our teeth and all the normal stuff. I was grown before I heard of dental floss. I'm still here. We also grew up without fluoridated water because we had a well. Do we all obsess too much these days?
Yes, I tend to agree with this. I understand we need a certain degree of germs and bacteria to stimulate the immune system, or something like that. I do not know how true this is, and can not always believe what I read. I think something like this needs researching. I also wonder about the anti-bacterial soaps they have on the market these days. I have read alot about how people should not use these.

SoftRain

I'm not very paranoid about germs and actually disagree quite a bit with antibacterial soaps and cleansers. They (along with antibiotic overuse) contribute to the rise of resistant bacteria.

We also sing the ABC song while washing our hands, I taught it to my kids at home and my kids at school. We also use the paper towels to turn off the faucets in public places, open doors, flush. I hate public restrooms so I am a complete germaphobe in there.

Jessi

I think I have. The way I learned the best was a demonstration we had in school. They put a glow in the dark substance on our hands and then had us wash our hands the absolute best we could. Obviously that was way more washing than we'd normally do anyway, but we wanted to prove that we did a great job.

Then they turned off the lights and ran a blacklight over our hands. It was amazing how much we missed. Because of that, my handwashing skills have always been pretty awesome, I think, and I tried to pass on those tips to kids.

Sugarhill

That's an interesting trick, Jessi.

I don't think I ever had to sing a song, but unless I'm standing in a packed restroom, and sometimes when I am, I have always taken my time washing my hands. It's kind of relaxing to me, so I indulge in the moment and just get my hands clean.

shaunche

I don't thoroughly wash my hands, sometimes I don't even use soap, yet I am never sick. Washing your hands frequently will strip the skin of the natural oils which act as a barrier for pathogens. Any harmful pathogens which do enter my body are defeated by my strong immune system. Further, bacteria will develop immunity and we will face the prospect of super-bugs!

I don't thoroughly wash my hands, sometimes I don't even use soap, yet I am never sick.
You might not be sick, but when you touch someone or something that others will have to touch, you are passing your germs onto them and it may make them sick.

I wash my hands often and I am also very, very rarely sick and if I am it is just the sniffles for a day or two (which may even be due to allergies) AND I work with kids all day.

shaunche

You might not be sick, but when you touch someone or something that others will have to touch, you are passing your germs onto them and it may make them sick.

I wash my hands often and I am also very, very rarely sick and if I am it is just the sniffles for a day or two (which may even be due to allergies) AND I work with kids all day.
Everyone is passing on germs, pathogens are everywhere. Attempting to sterilize everything is a dangerous path, bacteria develop immunity and become a much bigger danger to our health. Also, the chemicals in antibacterial products do more harm than good.

I use the ABC song to get them to wash their hands properly. I also have taught them about the dangers of antibacterial soaps. Few people know this, but the chemicals like was mentioned do more harm them good. So I teach them to avoid those whenever possible.