Hair dye

chabella

All Lady
I don't deny it, I do dye my hair but recently its been bleached in the past few months. When is it safe to redye to the proper color I want? Not sure I can pull off the blonde.

question

I tried blonde once and it was great. Only because my roots are dark I had to re-do my hair (including bleaching it) far to often. I just gave up and went back to my original color.

Redsky

If it's been a few months then you're probably fine to go ahead and redye it. You can get some nice oils/shampoos/etc. to help rejuvenate your hair after dying it, too, if you're worried it might be damaged.

Marjorie

Yes, after a few months I wouldn't hesitate to redye my hair. I agree that some deep conditioning treatments are also probably a good idea.

chabella

All Lady
I am really thinking this weekend I might end up doing this. It was fun for a while but not nearly as much as that "blondes have more fun" deal that most talk about. I am a natural brunette with strawberry red highlights (all natural), so I think I am going darker but not full black again.

Aletha

I have never completely dyed my hair. I have had it tinted once or twice, but I've never had it dyed another color. I would be careful with any processing that you didn't overdo it and damage the hair. If you have long hair it would be a shame to have to cut it because of over processing.

You might actually want to do a test patch on the blonde ends just to make sure that what ever you are going to use won't break off your hair. Much better to be 'save then sorry' later on.

chabella

All Lady
I made sure to avoid the over processing and even with 4 bleach processes its oddly never been stronger and this is a few months after that happened. I ended up getting it chopped only because of the insane weather we have had lately, with very thick and at the time long hair (past middle of back) it was needed.

After a few months it should be fine to re-color your hair. Since you did change it you want to make sure that you do a strand test before you color all over. What looks good on the box may not look the same once it is on your head(speaking from experience). I do color my hair but I always go get it done, I don't try to do it myself anymore.

Lyra

I would consider trying a henna. I don't know how well it would take on the blond, but I imagine it would take really well. Henna is much more gentle to your hair then commercial hair dye.

Melissa

Id give the bleach about 6 months. It really depends on the kind you used though. Store brands I won't touch my hair for a year afterwards but salon I find i can do in 6 months time. I just keep my hair dark now so it can repair itself :p

SoftRain

I haven't dyed my hair in years but I generally was ok with redoing it after a few months. Be careful though; I found that after my hair was bleached it was harder for the new color to grab. You may want to consider using a salon.

leyash

I would give the chemical about 6 to 9 months to grow out before you use hair dye. The reason for this is because you do not want to take a chance on chemically burning your hair, as it can fall out.

Charmeuse

After a few months it is usually safe to color the hair again. I recommend you look at hair coloring that's intended for bleached hair and select a color that won't cause scary results. I can speak from experience when it comes to the selection of color applied to bleached hair. If you want a red color, then any shade will look natural. If you wish to use a brown color, then opt only for the golden brown shades. Ash brown will cause bleached hair to turn out purple. Black hair dyes might cause the hair to turn blue. Anything that has a golden base will help since that is what your hair is left with after bleaching.

beckyv1265

I have very long thick healthy hair and have dyed it every 6 weeks since I was 20 years old. I take care of my hair and make sure that I don't over wash it. I also condition with natural oils. I get compliments on my hair all the time. I think that many people tend to abuse their hair with over washing and use inferior conditioners. Thats why they have so many issues.

After a few months, you should be safe. I try not to dye my hair anymore because I am getting more picky about my health the older I get. However, it is not going to hurt you to dye your hair every so often. There are many hairstylists I know that dye their hair WAY too much. I feel bad for them because they are going to start losing their hair at a young age when they get a little bit older.

Monique Seibel

Well I can share my experience, but I don't know I would recommend this path. I dyed my hair black for years. The only way I could change it was to bleach my hair. Therefore, I took it upon myself and I bleached my hair 3 times. Since my hair was pretty much orange, I had to just bite the bullet and dye it the brown color I wanted. It ended up working ok, since my hair remained intact on my head. However, it was very damaged. For several months after that, I deep conditioned my hair constantly and nurtured it in every way possible. Now, I am just growing out my natural colour and hair has never felt or looked healthier. So my advice would be, to dye it. But then condition the heck out of it.

I don't deny it, I do dye my hair but recently its been bleached in the past few months. When is it safe to redye to the proper color I want? Not sure I can pull off the blonde.
A few months? Then it should be more than safe for you to do a re-dye. If you want the best results, bleach everything off first. Then dye it the color you want.

Sage

Are you doing it at home or will a colorist do it for you? I have messed my hair up several times by coloring too soon or bleaching it too soon. It is better to wait longer than to have to deal with your hair breaking off. Trust me.