Going green could be bad for you

SifuPhil

What about the studies that say we are too paranoid about germs? Apparently, some scientists believe that a lot of the autoimmune problems are due to the immune system not having enough to do because we are such clean freaks. Maybe a little germs are okay. We live in a bacteria-filled universe. We take bacteria in with every breath.

As long as there are no epidemics around, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. :)
Exactly right. We build air-tight houses, drive cars with air filtration systems and work in office buildings whose windows cannot be opened. We ban smoking in public (in private soon?) and we're encouraged to run to the doctor at the first sniffle. Kids spend their developmental years inside playing video games.

When I was a kid I spent every available hour outdoors, ran, jumped, got cut up and bruised, played with wild animals, picked up DEAD wild animals, ate dirt and drank from bottles my friends had drank from.

... I'm still here, and I'm still healthy. :D

shaunche

But using them makes many people feel better. ;)

In the end, though, every little action that we perform that saves resources helps the Earth. If everyone had thought this way at the dawn of time - to use only what we need and then replace it - we wouldn't be in the fix we're in now.
You are right, it does make people feel better, it gives them the illusion they are saving the planet. In reality, the impact you make on the environment is minute and completely negated by giant companies which destruct the environment.

My dad is a good example, he meticulously recycles plastic etc, even though the waste is not even recycled. The reason being the market for recycled waste has gone, China no longer wants it. So the recycle waste is stored indefinitely and infested with rats.

Esperahol

What about the studies that say we are too paranoid about germs? Apparently, some scientists believe that a lot of the autoimmune problems are due to the immune system not having enough to do because we are such clean freaks. Maybe a little germs are okay. We live in a bacteria-filled universe. We take bacteria in with every breath.

As long as there are no epidemics around, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. :)
Tch. Saying autoimmune system disorders is because people aren't living in filth is an irresponsible thing to say as well as incorrect. Autoimmune disorders are generally a result of genetic issues and that has nothing to do with antibacterial soap. It's like allergies it use to be you didn't see them so often, but as people have started making a point of trying to save everyone nevermind if it is a responsible stance to take then these issues have become more and more common. Having the medical ability does not mean you should use it emotions aside.

misumaru15

I do understand the point being made. I don't think that everyone must live in filth. However I have seen studies about the boom in resistant bacteria due to overprescribing antibiotics. People also don't always finish a course of antibiotics. This all can lead to the creation of super bugs that are resistant to regular antibiotics. They are harder to treat and cost more.

I do understand the point being made. I don't think that everyone must live in filth. However I have seen studies about the boom in resistant bacteria due to overprescribing antibiotics. People also don't always finish a course of antibiotics. This all can lead to the creation of super bugs that are resistant to regular antibiotics. They are harder to treat and cost more.
Also, there's a huge difference between living in filth and not living in a perfectly sterile environment. The point is that sterility is not possible anyway, and the more sterile we try to make ourselves, the less practice we get fighting off the inevitable germs in our environment.

It's like using the fact that you'll never be physically strong enough to lift 100x your weight as an excuse to sit on your butt and get fat.

Waynefire

Hmm that is interesting. You would think with the recycled materials they would run them through a UV light to help kill the bacteria. I guess they do not do this and want to expose us to more bacteria! Yay us!