Frostbite

SuzyQ

My doctor has just induced frostbite on the skin of my cheek to kill the blood vessels that produced, what I thought, was an unsightly red patch. Strangely, my skin now feels hot and I'm wondering what, if anything I can use to cool it. Any ideas?

NatureMom

The hot is because of the damage-like any other burn there is now blood rushing to the area and a histamine response to the damage too. This all induces swelling, heat and itching.

Keep it cool with cool packs but I wouldn't apply anything to it.

SuzyQ

Do you think it will be OK to apply my usual daily moisturiser? I showered as usual and washed the area with a mild facial wash this morning. It feels like normal now but doesn't appear to have changed colour so I may have to have another treatment. :( My husband can't understand why I'm bothering!

Glinda

Wow, I've never heard of a treatment like this before. How long is it supposed to take to see a change? I hope you don't have to have another treatment. Let us know what happens.

SuzyQ

My doctor didn't actually say how long I'd have to wait but he did say it may blister to begin with so I'd better give it a couple of weeks. It looks red and angry at the moment so I'm leaving it alone apart from a gentle wash with aqueous cream each day.