Fast food makes you depressed!

thatgirl

I can see a link between being crunched for time and eating more fast food. I know we hit the drive thru more often during busy weeks. The problem with health food is not really the cost, but the time it takes to prepare for a family. And it makes sense that having less time can contribute to stress and depression, which a poor diet compounds. I'm just saying that there are often more contributing factors than fast food.

srj

I've also noticed this. I think it is because of the simple carbs in the food. They make your blood sugar raise and lower quickly, which makes you really tired. The transfats are also a nuisance in fast food.

Laurasav

Luckily, I've never been a big fast food eater. I don't like cheap, crappy food. And the older I get, the less I like it. It amazes me though how often my parents eat that crap, especially with the amount of money my father has! I don't know why they like it so much, even their knowing how bad it is for them, and that they can certainly afford much better restaurants if they want to eat out! Sheesh! Drives me nuts! :confused:
As for depression, I suffer greatly from that affliction and it certainly has nothing to do with food! Try getting to know my family and you'll know why I'm depressed! :rolleyes:

Do you really get depressed when you eat fast food? Or do you actually eat fast food when you feel depressed? For many people, the latter situation may be more true. Some people do eat just to feel better. That's how they can get fat so fast.

Meow

There are so many other factors that could skew the study...

For example the perception most people have of fast food is negative. Now if it's all someone eats and they're constantly being told what they're doing is bad or wrong that will likely take a toll on them.

There is also a HUGE difference between feeling depressed or un-energetic and actual clinical depression.

Lena51

I can agree with you on that point. I know that fast food is unhealthy for you because for one thing it's cooked to fast and then the seasonings that they use is not for our body. I love to make that burger myself and then I won't feel like I am bloated afterwards and I know what type of seasonings I use and anything else that goes in it.

Contrary to popular belief that it would bring you comfort when you eat junk from fast food chain, I would agree that depression is actually something that it could bring! Those are unhealthy elements entering your body. And when you blew up like crazy because of those unwanted cholesterol, you are for sure going to be depressed.

wickerbaskets

I'm actually not surprised by this study. It's quite common that someone will feel stressed and go eat some fast food. They might feel good very temporarily while they are enjoying the fast food but shortly afterwards they will begin to feel the mental and physical effects of eating that junk. I myself am guilty of indulging but very infrequently. When I do eat it though, I feel so sluggish afterwards.

Lena51

I know you feel so sluggish and don't want to do a thing afterwards. That fast food weighs you down and you feel like you are bloated for about a week, anyway I do. That tells us a story about that kind of food such as "STOP" eating it and cook your own home made food as much as possible, so it will be healthier for all of us. I would love to have a garden at my place so I can plant my own food with no chemicals, but it's not mine, but when I move I will plant my own vegetables.

rosie

I can see how this can be true. It's especially true if it's the reason someone is overweight. That one guy that just lived on McDonalds for a documentary ended up really sick at the end of the month.

Esperahol

There are so many other factors that could skew the study...

For example the perception most people have of fast food is negative. Now if it's all someone eats and they're constantly being told what they're doing is bad or wrong that will likely take a toll on them.

There is also a HUGE difference between feeling depressed or un-energetic and actual clinical depression.
Judging by the comments following yours I do believe you are correct. Personally I think alot of this is an internal thing, because there are no special chemicals in the food it's self to make anyone feel bad or sluggish. If there were all these many fast food companies wouldn't be pulling in billions a year... worldwide.

jovan107

I think if you consume fast food on a regular basis it can make you depressed, because its high in calories, greasy, and unhealthy. I feel fine after eating fast food because I only eat it once a month. If fast food is eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner then that is a major problem and your only setting your self up for a variety of illnesses and weight gain.

plsargent

Just another reason to back up our family decision to cut fast food from our lifestyle. The grandparents did not understand why their grand-babies can't have a cheeseburger and fries. I told them they can, just make it at home so you know what's in it.

hunysukle

I'm not at all surprised that fast food makes people depressed. You feel like you're already getting fat the moment after you eat it! I always feel like crap after I eat fast food. I also get really thirsty long afterward because of the high sodium content in the food. Unhealthy food always has unpleasant effects on the body. Sure, you might feel great while you're eating it, but afterward you will feel crummy.

misumaru15

That's why I try to make my own version at home. I think it really does have to do with the preparation of the food. It's so high in sodium and I don't make my food that way at home. I have started making ground chicken burgers and they are yummy. I bake my fries instead of frying.

Meow

That's why I try to make my own version at home. I think it really does have to do with the preparation of the food. It's so high in sodium and I don't make my food that way at home. I have started making ground chicken burgers and they are yummy. I bake my fries instead of frying.
Eh...

Sodium isn't going to make you depressed. It's certainly not good for you in massive quantities, but depression isn't why.

Basil Nut

I'm not surprised at this at all. There are very little vitamins, minerals and good stuff in this highly processed food. Even the red comes from other things, usually not healthy things either.

ohiotom76

Not all fast food is bad. There are places out there like Jimmy John's that have a lot of healthy sandwich options (and a really good veggie sandwich on multigrain bread - if you hold the mayo). I can't recall the name of it but another fast food place opened up in a nearby mall where they specialize in chopped salads, they make them in front of you to order.

plsargent

When I think fast food I think McDonald's and Burger King places like that. It's wrong that McDonald's food will look the same a year later just a little hard, but no mild no nothing. That's just not right.

SweetPea

When I think fast food I think McDonald's and Burger King places like that. It's wrong that McDonald's food will look the same a year later just a little hard, but no mild no nothing. That's just not right.
That is just wrong. Imagine digesting that through your body. It has gotten a little better in recent years but theres still a long way to go. The salads cant be half bad can they?