Every 3 years

Luvkenny

My gynecologist told me that I only needed to get my pap test every three years from now on. My insurance will cover it every year. Why would I want to wait every three years? Doesn't that sound like a long time in between?

StarGazer

A lot of doctors are saying 2-3 years is perfectly fine between check-ups now. The medical community believes that annual exams are an unnecessary expense for most women.

Alli

Every three years would have been wonderful when I was your age. It's not on my top ten list of favorite things to do so if I never have to have another one it will be O.K. Luckily, the older I get the less frequent they happen. :)

Luvkenny

I don't like them either but I do like the peace of mind I get after one. I think I will get it every year regardless. Didn't they say we didn't need mammograms every year too.

freshfoodie

As long as you have never had an abnormal pap most doctors are recommending every 2-3 years. I don't have a problem with that at all. I had to have an extra one this year because for the first time in 17 years I failed one.

Luvkenny

My doctor called me and told me that they did not have enough tissue/cells to test. She told me that I did not have to come back in though, we could just do it next year. I was okay with that!

chabella

All Lady
Our insurance still pays yearly and I will continue to go each year. I would rather go and spend the extra time along with money to make sure I am good to go rather than skip a year with a possible gap in diagnosing something major.

Luvkenny

That is exactly what I am saying chabella. Cervival cancer is a tough one to beat. I can stand ten minutes of discomfort every year. Early detection is your best bet of beating cervical cancer. I can't see how every three years is early detection.

SoftRain

I wouldn't be comfortable going only every 3 years, especially since I had to be treated for cervical dysplasia while in college. I can push it until about 18 months but that's as far as I go.

It's too bad, since pap smears aren't exactly fun.

Lilly

I wouldn't be at all comfortable waiting every three years just because cervical cancer is so hard to beat, especially if you don't catch it early on.

herbalnut

I don't think I would feel very comfortable waiting every 3 years. My insurance pays for every year and that's what I'll do. In fact, I once had an abnormal pap. It turned out okay, but it made me realize the importance of it.