Drinking more water

I am really making a conscious effort to drink more water. I am sure I don't get enough on a regular basis. Today I drank 3 Liters worth but I am not sure how that translates into ounces. Do you drink the 64 ounces that is recommended?

wanderingherb

Legitimately you need to try to drink half your body weight in ounces. That includes fluids from foods and other sources except, pop, tea (herbal tea fine), and coffee. So if you weigh lets say 130 then you would try to intake 65 ounces of fluids. Not just water but fluids total. A liter is about 33 ounces so you drank 101. :D Someone is gonna be very flushed out!

strawberry

I find that I get really dry in the winter. I know it's bad to wait until you feel thirsty before having a glass of water. So I've got myself a thermal mug and I'm going to keep it filled and with me as much as possible. I know if it's there I'll automatically drink more.

Myrrh

Legitimately you need to try to drink half your body weight in ounces. That includes fluids from foods and other sources except, pop, tea (herbal tea fine), and coffee. So if you weigh lets say 130 then you would try to intake 65 ounces of fluids. Not just water but fluids total. A liter is about 33 ounces so you drank 101. :D Someone is gonna be very flushed out!
This is something new to me. Thanks for sharing this information. I grew up and grew old :D trying to stick to the '6-8 glasses of water a day' guide. I usually get thirsty quickly so I make sure to have a glass or a bottle of water beside me.

WanderingHerb, thanks for the great breakdown. I always have a drink next to me, so I am sure I am always way cleaned out. I drank all that water plus a soda and a thermosful of coffee.

Paisley

I didn't realize that drinking soft drinks depleted your body of water. I drink way too much diet pop, and definitely not enough water. I will go out of my way for the next month to drink more water.

strawberry

They say that if you feel thirsty, you've waited too long to drink. I always thought just the opposite, that feeling thirsty is a signal that it's time to have a drink of water.

wonderfuls

I am about ready to invest in a mini-fridge for my office if this keeps up. We are getting this way too but lately I have been on the slow side of the scale, maybe 7 glasses a day. One day I noticed I only had four!

Paisley

Dangers of diet soft drinks

I continue to read about how dangerous drinking diet soft drinks are. Now studies have shown they are a huge contributor to heart attacks. I have got to get off these things and I'm so addicted. I need to drink more water. Will power, where art thou?

wanderingherb

Oh Paisley they are so addictive. I am happy to say I no longer drink any pop unless an occasional ginger ale. I did it years ago but STILL remember how hard it was. I started with with diet 7up and get this, mixed it with gateraid. Slowly less and less, then replaced water into the gateraid instead of the 7up! It worked. The end result was when I was okay with that, then I started reducing the gateraid and used juice instead just enough to flavor the water. Long process. :) I feel for you.

mitzypisi

Drinking up to 2 liters of water a day is ok but too much water can be a stressful work for the kidneys. Too much water can cause a disturbance in the sodium concentration in the serum. A low concentration of this electrolyte is called hyponatremia, can lead to heart failure and other severe health problems.
A balanced hydration of one and a half liters or 2 liters a day is perfect for a healthy life.

wanderingherb that's some really cool information you have there! Thank you for that! I would definitely be sharing that to my students the next time I have a lecture about fluids and electrolytes.

One thing I know about hydration is that when you are working out, like, sweating so much, you need to replace your electrolytes too and not rely on water only. I had a friend who only drank plain water during her workouts, she collapsed one day and we brought her to the hospital. The doctor said she collapsed because of dilutional hyponatremia, meaning, the concentration of sodium and other electrolytes in her body were diluted by all the water she drank and this sends a signal to the brain that there is too little of these electrolytes.

So make sure when you hydrate during great-sweat days, don't forget the electrolytes in your drink!

Somebody recently told me that coffee does not indeed dehydrate, as we've all been taught. I wonder how true that is, and if so, I wonder if a cup of coffee (I have one a day) counts towards my daily water intake...?

clewand550

I am horrible at drinking the recommended amount of water each day. I used to be so much healthier than I am now. I used to drink a lot of water each day. It was never an issue for me. I'm not that good anymore. I will have to work on it. It may be easier for me now that summer is right around the corner and it is getting warmer outside.

SjNative

I try to aim for a gallon or more of water a day. You can easily accomplish this by buying one of those gallon jugs and finishing one of those throughout the day. I constantly refill them with some filtered tap water I have here at home so I don't have to waste any more money on buying more jugs. Also, anytime i get hungry, I would just chug some water and it would satisfy my appetite for the time being.

Parker

I usually drink 64 ounces each day. If I'm exercising or doing a lot of walking I will drink more.

I had an addition to Coke. Whenever I was stressed out I would drink it to calm me down. I went to a workshop where the speaker did an NLP exercise for an addiction. I used Coke for my addiction. It really worked on me. I've only one bottle of soda in 2 months. I used to drink one soda a day.

Bookfair

water intake

Does anyone find that drinking a lot of water means you need the toilet far more often? That can be a problem for some jobs. I have always been in a classroom with no way of leaving until a lunch break because of 'duty of care' requirements. I got into a habit of not drinking a lot which is probably quite bad. Lots of teachers get urinary tract infections as a result.

Does anyone find that drinking a lot of water means you need the toilet far more often? That can be a problem for some jobs. I have always been in a classroom with no way of leaving until a lunch break because of 'duty of care' requirements. I got into a habit of not drinking a lot which is probably quite bad. Lots of teachers get urinary tract infections as a result.
You're right, that is a real problem for teachers and other people who have to watch kids all day. There really should be a way to arrange for someone else to take over the classroom for five minutes so that the teacher can take a bathroom break.

janayc

I usually only end up drinking 2 bottles of water a day. I just don't feel that thirsty but I know I should be drinking more, I just hate using the bathroom so often.