Drinking Epsom Salt

jovan107

This is a traditional remedy that most people in my family use as well as people from Guyana, South America. I drink Epsom Salts once every 4-6 months. I normally drink a teaspoon of Epsom Salts in 6-8 ounces of warm water. Some health benefits of Epsom Salt includes colon cleansing, prevention of blood clots and etc. Besides its external health benefits, Do any of you drink Epsom Salts? if not, Would you ever consider drinking Epsom Salts to cleanse your colon? Most physicians only recommend internally consuming Epsom Salt to treat constipation.

gina121

I have used Epsom salts in the bath tub and for foot baths, to relieve soreness and aching muscles. I have heard about the benefits of using Epsom in colon cleansing and for constipation. However, I have not tried it. I'd most certainly be open to trying it out though. Used correctly, it shouldn't be harmful. I have, however, tried hydrotherapy and coffee colon cleansing, under a therapist's guidance, in the past.

Carolynn

I have never heard of this before but I am intrigued. How quickly does the laxative effect take place, and how long does it last?

Esperahol

In order no and no. Its hard on the liver and gallbladder and I don't introduce salts into my system unless they are table salts or seasonings.

jovan107

I have never heard of this before but I am intrigued. How quickly does the laxative effect take place, and how long does it last?
Yes, drinking salts as well as other herbs is something that my family has used for years and most of the older generation are well into there 90's. The laxative can take effect between 1-24 hours and it lasts for a few hours- a day.

jovan107

In order no and no. Its hard on the liver and gallbladder and I don't introduce salts into my system unless they are table salts or seasonings.
Okay, thanks for commenting, I understand drinking salts can have adverse effects on some people, but it has never affected me. Its something I will continue to drink ever so often as well as other herbs.

jovan107

I have used Epsom salts in the bath tub and for foot baths, to relieve soreness and aching muscles. I have heard about the benefits of using Epsom in colon cleansing and for constipation. However, I have not tried it. I'd most certainly be open to trying it out though. Used correctly, it shouldn't be harmful. I have, however, tried hydrotherapy and coffee colon cleansing, under a therapist's guidance, in the past.

If you do decide to try Epsom Salt never use more than one teaspoon to 6-8 ounces of water, I think this is the best mixture for optimal results.

I use them in the bath, and occasionally use them to consume. Epsom salts if given in too large doses though may contribute towards dehydration. I've found that I can only tolerate small doses, but I do notice that I feel less bloated and better in general.

misumaru15

I have only soaked in them. I have heard about using them as a laxative but I don't think I'm that brave. I am pretty regular. I also have heard that they are good for a body scrub.

jovan107

I use them in the bath, and occasionally use them to consume. Epsom salts if given in too large doses though may contribute towards dehydration. I've found that I can only tolerate small doses, but I do notice that I feel less bloated and better in general.
Yes, it can contribute to dehydration and your consumption dose is perfect. I think if consumed properly their are some great benefits when drinking Epsom salt and small doses is best.

misumaru15

Ah really jovan107? I will have to pick some up. I have some natural African black soap I use for my face. I want a nice smooth complexion when I get out of the shower.

Beth23

Taking Epsom salt for more then 1 week can cause damage to the kidneys and cause magnesium toxicity. It can be used as a laxative but not a long term solution to consipation or hard stools. Once every few months may be beneficial but more then that would make me concerned.

jovan107

Taking Epsom salt for more then 1 week can cause damage to the kidneys and cause magnesium toxicity. It can be used as a laxative but not a long term solution to consipation or hard stools. Once every few months may be beneficial but more then that would make me concerned.
I take it once every 4-6 months and only one teaspoon to 6-8 ounces of water. I would never advise anyone to take epsom salt weekly, I think that would cause more harm than good to your health.

aphil

I tried drinking epsom salt about a month ago. It so didn't agree with me. The first reaction, once I drank it , was to throw it back up. My stomach was upset for some hours aand after all that, it had no effect on my bowels. I guess it is just not a match for me. I do love its effect when I soak in the epsom salt. It relieves pain and helps me to relax.

jovan107

Ah really jovan107? I will have to pick some up. I have some natural African black soap I use for my face. I want a nice smooth complexion when I get out of the shower.
African black soap is excellent, I have used it a few times and it’s a great soap. When I use Epsom salt as a body scrub, I mix one cup of salts with a cap full of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and a cap full of Whole Foods Velvet Moisture Acai Body wash. Its a great alternative when I do not have any other body scrubs to use.