Drinking Coconut Water After Workout

Hyacinth

An expert from consumerlab.com says that drinking coconut water may not be the best beverage choice for endurance athletes to drink after working out. Accordingly, there is little research to to back up the effectiveness of coconut water in rehydrating and replenishing electrolytes after an intense workout.

artistry

I am not physically able to do workouts, so I cannot speak to that issue. But I do drink coconut water to help my kidney function. It is very good for that purpose and contains many nutrients.

shaunche

Coconut water is indeed an ideal post-workout drink because it contains natural electrolytes which are lost via sweat during exercise. It also contains other nutrients like potassium. I'm wary of the bottled coconut water, though, I have concerns over the manufacturing process. Straight from the nut is better!

SoftRain

I finally tried coconut water after hearing it was beneficial and tasty. I thought it was really gross, so I will have to stick to other post-workout drinks. I generally drink plain water.

It makes sense to drink it after a workout to replenish what was lost. I like the taste of coconut water but it's pretty expensive where I live.

lettuce

I think just plain water and maybe a healthy snack are all you need. Drinking your calories through "enhanced" liquids is unnecessary. Plus, coconut water is by no means convenient.

Esperahol

I think just plain water and maybe a healthy snack are all you need. Drinking your calories through "enhanced" liquids is unnecessary. Plus, coconut water is by no means convenient.
It is also pretty unpleasant to drink. There is a chalkiness to it that along with how flat it is does nothing to endear it to me. That said I love using coconut milk as a food ingrediant.

Monique Seibel

I actually believe in coconut water, wholeheartedly. I even drink it while I'm working out and find it helps increase my energy level. However, I love anything with coconut and really enjoy drinking it. The caloric content is not significant enough to be a deterrent for me either. Especially because my workouts and pretty intense. The only complaint I have is the price can sometimes be a little high, depending on the brand.

Coconut water is something I'll have to give another try. In the past I've found I don't like the taste of it, but as I get old I find that my tastes change. Can I make my own coconut water by buying some coconuts and cracking them myself? Seems like that would produce the best result.

I actually believe in coconut water, wholeheartedly. I even drink it while I'm working out and find it helps increase my energy level. However, I love anything with coconut and really enjoy drinking it. The caloric content is not significant enough to be a deterrent for me either. Especially because my workouts and pretty intense. The only complaint I have is the price can sometimes be a little high, depending on the brand.
I've found the same to be true, that it increases my energy level while I'm working out. I don't usually drink it straight, though; I usually mix it with water, partially because it's so expensive, haha! Also, I just prefer the taste diluted.

I can't drink flavored coconut water, though. I find it does the exact opposite of pure coconut water-- it dehydrates me while I'm working out, as though I were drinking soda or something.

Nina

I like the taste of coconut water, and I feel like I'm doing myself a favor when I drink it. I do think most of this is in my mind and that it's not all that beneficial. It's pretty expensive for just a pleasure drink, but I do use it as a treat after I work out.

Mrs. Rogers

I actually bought some because I thought it would be so amazing...I couldn't stand the taste of it. I really wish that I had liked it more. It smells great.

Monique Seibel

I think it just one of those things you either love or hate. I love it, and my sister almost wanted to puke when she tasted it. I even like the flavored ones, as long as they are flavored naturally. There is a brand I like from Costco, that has a combination of just plain with a few flavored ones in Pina Colanda and Mango I think. But it is pricey. Although, you can buy boxed coconut water for much cheaper.

Coconut milk should not be confused with coconut water. Coconut milk is white and looks, well, like milk. It's obtained by squeezing the coconut flesh. Coconut water is clear and it comes from the inside of the coconut. No squeezing required. Just crack open a coconut and the coconut water will fall out.

Coconut water is already sweet. It should be taken just like that without adding any more sugar to it.

marchese

I do enjoy coconut water and i've heard great things about it in terms of supporting good health. I have not heard though that it can help after a workout. I might try it to see.