Does acupuncture hurt?

boobah

I have never had acupuncture done on me but I have always wanted to try. The thing is that I am afraid of needles. Do the needles they use in acupuncture hurt?

HerbJane

I don't find they hurt, I actually find it relaxing. Call me crazy but it also helps with pain management for me as well. Give it a try, just don't watch them put the needles in.

curer

Acupuncture basically involves piercing of needles on vital parts of the body. However, they not not very painful as it is thought to be. The initial pricking of a needle is felt which is certainly bearable. It hurts to that extent only.

Sasha

My mom has always used acupuncture and says it never hurts. She says she closes her eyes and automatically starts relaxing.

remidies

I asked my friend who has had it done. She says “You will feel a pinch, and you'll feel it catch which is completely normal- the needle has to hit the nerve in order for it to do the job. It's not very painful. Its a little uncomfortable the first time, but the more you try to relax and breathe, the more benefit you'll get out of it.”

boobah

I see, thanks for all of the info about it. I can see how if I go in there nervous I could make it hurt more than it would have to. I will practice breathing and relaxing.

Aloe Vera

The needles they use are not very small I would compare it to a small scratch. I have had it done for my back pain. I have a mild case of scoliosis. I would recommend it.

AbqAcu

How big the needles are

Acupuncture needles are very thin, like a hair. They are so thin that it is almost like they slip between the pores of your skin. They do NOT cut like a large needle does when you donate blood or need an IV. Trust me on this, I am an office manager for an acupuncture office and we almost never have a patient need a band-aid...not even with patients that bleed easily. :D

Georgia

I would definitely recommend it. I had it done for my extreme back paid after I was in a car crash. I went in there one day, unable to move my head or my right arm, because the muscles were too stiff, and knotted up. ?The doctor put a few very tinny needls in to the ends of the nerves and into the not in my back. Then they attached an energy source machine and gave me the controls. It was almost completely painless, and I walked out of there swinging my arm.

ginseng

I've had it done once to get rid of a migraine headache. The needle prick did not hurt, but the headache did not go away either. Maybe I was not able to relax or the acupuncturist was not that good.

boobah

I wanted to let you know that I did get it done. It did not hurt and the results were amazing. I really feel like it has helped me to feel better. I plan to do it again.

natural1

I had back surgery in 2005. I wonder if I would be able to even have this done. I need the hardware taken out of my back from the fusion the doctor did. Maybe after that I could go see an Acupuncture doctor.

vanillabean

I've always been afraid to get acupuncture. Needles terrify me. I have to look away when I get blood drawn or shots. I don't know how I'd handle all of those needles all over me. :)