Do You Use A MultiVitamin Or Singles?

I have recently read an article where the body can only absorb so much from a multivitamin before it is removed as waste. This got me to thinking about how much of the vitamin content is actually removed before it is used. Since I read this I started to take the vitamins as singles and have started to notice a marked difference in my energy levels, but also in how I feel. How do you take your vitamins?

I should be ashamed of myself, because I actually don't take a multivitamin every day like the doctor suggests. However, I worked as a pharmacy tech for a while and studied vitamin supplements extensively while in school and that article is correct - your body can only absorb so much of a given vitamin/mineral before the rest is wasted. In school, I actually learned that it's better not to take super doses, because of the aforementioned fact, and it's also better not to take the entire day's supply at one time. Instead, spread it out and take half with breakfast and half with dinner, for example. Your body will absorb more that way.

rayne

I am on a regimen that requires them twice a day. I take them in the morning and again at noon. If I miss my noon vitamins, I sure can tell the difference around 3 in the afternoon. I get so tired that I can barely go.

Irma

I take a multi-vitamin. It has all the right amounts of all the right nutrients. I figure that whatever my body doesn't need will be expelled, and whatever it needs will get used.

konstantina

I don't think you should take a multivitamin or other vitamin if you eat your vitamins. Box-vitamins as I call them, are necessary if you are recovering from illness, don't eat right, or are in stress. So, I don't think a multivitamin every day is not really necessary. If you feel like you need them, you can try taking one every other day.

deb

Taking a multi-vitamin every day isn't going to hurt you, but it's much better to get your nutrition from food. That doesn't mean McDonald's, processed foods and snacks. It means a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables (organic if possible), meat that has been raised by real farmers (no antibiotics or growth harmones), no GMO foods, etc. Also, drink lots of water.

I take s bone formula, but I eat as healthy of a diet as possible, too.

Sugarhill

I have recently read an article where the body can only absorb so much from a multivitamin before it is removed as waste. This got me to thinking about how much of the vitamin content is actually removed before it is used. Since I read this I started to take the vitamins as singles and have started to notice a marked difference in my energy levels, but also in how I feel. How do you take your vitamins?

I take singles, but I take them around what I know that I'll be eating on a regular basis. It sounds crazy and maybe a little anal, but I've actually sat down and taken the time to see what the nutrient breakdown is of the foods that I eat on a frequent basis.

Obviously, I take into consideration the breakdown of some of the nutrients after cooking them, but from there, I supplement with vitamins. It takes some time and effort, but if you knock it out in one sit down shot of research, then it works out in the end.

HealthyS7

I do take a multivitamin and then take singles for specific issues. I do take cinnamon and other things for my hair and nails. I make sure that I am not taking too much of one thing because then I am just waisting my money.

misumaru15

I take a multivitamin. I also take a few singles at different times of the day. It's usually when I remember lol. I don't think you need to take megadoses as these are often unnecessary.

save27

I use both multivitamins and singles, like Vitamin C and Calcium. Taking just a multivitamin won't cover all of the nutritional needs, so it is good to take some singles.

Parker

I take a multivitamin. I also take a calcium magnesium supplement. I don't want to take any more than that. I hate taking a bunch of pills.

I take a multivitamin that requires three doses daily. That way I get all the daily requirements and it is all spread out so hopefully my body absorbs what is needed. I won't say I always remember to take them though. :oops: I know that I don't eat healthy enough every day to not take them.

josh0322

I used to take a daily multivitamin every morning. I have stopped since then because I couldn't afford to keep buying the vitamins and I wanted to try getting my nutrients via fruits and vegetables. It is much more difficult to obtain the proper balance of vitamins from just the foods you eat but you can supplement with specifics when necessary.

Myrrh

I don't take a multivitamin. Everyone seems to tell me to take one but I don't think I really need it. I may be wrong. I take Vitamin E and calcium though. Sometimes I also pop Vitamin C.

shaunche

The issue with taking single vitamins, for me, is not knowing which vitamins you are deficient in and which vitamins you need to take. I prefer to take a multivitamin because it covers all the bases and any excess will be flushed out of the body.

Waynefire

I do singles on a regular basis. I have found when I do this I tend to wake up with more energy the next day and feel better about myself during the day.

beyreNC

There has been so much back n forth concerning multivitamins over the years. Some believe they are beneficial and others don't. Yes, it depend son your current state of health. If you eat a healthy and balanced diet and exercise, chances are you won't need a multivitamin.

I've been taking them off and on over the years for a couple of reasons, but never really noticed any overall benefits (and I'm talking taking them for months straight, really giving them a chance to work).

I always find it funny thought to urinate neon yellow due to the excess of B12 (niacine) I think it is. =)

I really need something to boost my comatose metabolism (a stable problem of mine for my whole life) and boost energy.

Also, is there anything out there that aids in keeping blood sugars down? I know if you are having a low blood sugar attacks to take some juice or a piece of candy. But is there something that "absorbs" too much carbs when you're having a high blood sugar attack? Wishful thinking I know. =)

Ankh

No I have some Garlic pills that I'm not even sure what they are for.
I have been buying things from the Vitamin aisle in walmart sort of
randomly, because I'm not sure which ones to even take.