Do herbs need a lot of sunlight?

boobah

I would like to grow herbs in the winter time indoors. I do not have the best windows for sunlight and was wondering how much sunlight herbs really need.

Galileo

Yea, they do. I keep my herbs on my kitchen windowsills all year long because that side of the house gets direct morning light. If you don't have enough natural sunlight, you could look into one of those artificial light herb growing kits. They're a little pricey, but I hear they work.

Jimmy

They are very light sensitive, yes. This is why you probably wont see a lot of herbs growing in Seattle, or any other climate that doesn't get a lot of sun.

boobah

I wonder if there is a certain kind of light that you could get with out getting in to the whole kit thing. Just something small that I could put up to help the herbs along. Would fluorescents work?

sammie

How dark is your home now? Is there any chance you can open it up a little to have at least one smaller area dedicated to needed the sunlight required for what you are looking to plant?

Richard

Maybe a heat lamp would work? If it gets too warm, just back it up a bit? I'm sure there are some herbs that will do well in artificial light.

biggy

Yea, most of the herbs need good sunlight. You can grow them in open place instead of indoors. Make use of the open place and grow them organically. That way, you'll get the best quality herbs.

Lilandra

My kitchen windows get a lot of natural sunlight, but in the winter the space around those windows gets pretty cold. Would that hinder the growth of an herb garden?

Thyme

I think that the head of the kitchen will counteract the coldness of the window sill. I am fortunate to have a large enough window sill with lots of natural light. However, I would consider getting some type of lamp if needed.

boobah

What about the sort of heat lamp you use for snakes with another lamp for light. Do you think that would give the herbs what they would need to grow indoors?