Dishwashing soap

Patchouli

Is it possible to make your own soap for the dishwasher? I know that it's really easy to produce too many suds in an automatic dishwasher (learned that early on with liquid dish washing soap, lol), and I just wondered what you'd use to make it yourself.

Hedda

That is a GREAT question! I use lots of everyday non-toxic items to clean with all the time, but I had never considered something for the dishwasher. If I could make my own non-toxic dishwasher soap, I absolutely would.

Patchouli

It would be wonderful, yeah? The non-toxic phosphorus free dishwashing soaps are SO expensive- I'd love to have a natural and inexpensive alternative to that.

Naturified

That's what I use-the Eco brand. I would worry about messing up my expensive dish washing machine by putting the wrong thing in it. It's not used all that often, but I wouldn't be without it.

EarthGirl

Huh. I'm really curious about this now, too. It IS a good question. I bet there is an answer. And I bet it's super simple too.

Off to do some googling...

wanderingherb

Huh. Yes, a good question. I don't own a dishwasher. Lost three of them when they grew up and moved out ;)

It'll be interesting to find out.

EarthGirl

I found a recipe!

* 1 cup borax
* 1 cup washing soda
* 1/2 cup citric acid
* 1/2 cup kosher salt

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

It's actually very similar to the homemade laundry detergent. This makes me very happy...I can do this.

Though I'm not sure where you get citric acid. Anyone know?

SaltandPepper

I'm sure you could find it on the internet if you searched. I think I may have to try this recipe. I have been thinking of trying the laundry soap anyway so if they both share ingredients, so much the better.