Depression Help?

2Nature

Can you suggest a good natural anti-depressant? I'm not necessarily asking advice about food. I'm willing to accept anything you throw my way, as long as it has a chance of helping. Thanks!

dissn_it

I know that getting enough to eat, regular exercises and getting enough sleep are all things that you can do to help depression. It is not easy to do these things when you are depressed but it is worth the effort.
Here is a link for information on natural antidpressants, it mentions Omega Daily and also lists foods you can eat to help depression.
Natural Antidepressants

shaunche

St John's Wort is good for treating mild depression. I used it when I was a teenager and it certainly helped relieve my depression. You should also consider using omega-3, the connection between omega-3 and brain health is widely documented.

2Nature

Thank you guys, these are all good advices and I will stick to most of them. Some things are just hard to do when you feel depressed but making an effort goes a long way, even if you're not aware of it in the moment.

Randomhero

Specific foods are really good for anti depressant. I'm not sure of their names off hand but if you google anti depressant food you should be able to find a good list.

dkramarczyk

I've heard many good things about St. John's Wort. I was actually going to start taking that tomorrow to see if it would help out my depression.

shaunche

Specific foods are really good for anti depressant. I'm not sure of their names off hand but if you google anti depressant food you should be able to find a good list.
Food definitely affects how you feel. Eat whole natural food, the food we are designed to eat, and your mood will naturally rise. Sugar, grains and modern staples make us more susceptible to depression and anxiety.

Parker

St. John's Wort is really great for mild depression. Also while on it, it's best to stay out of direct sunlight.

BonnyC

Depression is not something that you should be trying to treat on your own if you are clinically depressed (i.e. chemical imbalance). It is a delicate situation and supplements can make it worse. You should never try to medicate yourself for it. My advice is to see your physician and get a referral to a therapist or see your therapist if you already have one to get a diagnosis. Then you and your physician can talk about natural ways to manage it.

Now, if you're just having a rough time right now and want something to help you feel better and it's not a chronic condition, St. John's Wort can help a lot. It's just not recommended for true depression.

This is my opinion, of course. I have been in this exact situation and I have tried to do what you're suggesting. I'm speaking from experience. Take it or leave it.

Suzie

I agree with BonnyC. I've never tried S. John's Wort, but I am on anti-depressants at the moment (sadly, not natural ones). I used to be a nay-Sayer when it came to mental health medication that wasn't natural, but talking it out with a therapist and deciding to use medication was the right decision for me.

stefano13

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter responsible for calming effect in your brain. Eating regular, small and nutritious meals works as natural antidepressants and help in keeping your serotonin levels in control as well as in managing depression, the natural way.Antidepressants include herbs such as Ginseng and Ginkgo, amino acids like l-tyrosine and phenylalanine, and certain nutrients including B vitamins.

stefano13

I have a number of friends that have found success with Amoryn. It's an all-natural supplement designed to help with symptoms of depression. Amoryn's formula contains both 5-HTP and St. John's Wort, among other ingredients.

Sugarhill

Can you suggest a good natural anti-depressant? I'm not necessarily asking advice about food. I'm willing to accept anything you throw my way, as long as it has a chance of helping. Thanks!

If this is a situation of more feeling down that you are calling depression versus actually being clinically depressed, I would suggest this: do something for someone else.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually works. It doesn't have to be something big, it just has to be something for someone else. For example, I was going through some things a few years ago at my job. When I was really feeling low, I went out to lunch and brought back slices of cheesecake for various co-workers.

The look of surprise and gratitude on their faces when I gave them a slice actually made me smile for the moment. Sometimes, you just need to chip away at the things that are getting you down, just as the things that are getting you down stack on top of each other.

Tecca_Nina

If this is a situation of more feeling down that you are calling depression versus actually being clinically depressed, I would suggest this: do something for someone else.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually works. It doesn't have to be something big, it just has to be something for someone else. For example, I was going through some things a few years ago at my job. When I was really feeling low, I went out to lunch and brought back slices of cheesecake for various co-workers.

The look of surprise and gratitude on their faces when I gave them a slice actually made me smile for the moment. Sometimes, you just need to chip away at the things that are getting you down, just as the things that are getting you down stack on top of each other.
Something like this might work. Surround yourself in happiness and hopefully you will find happiness!

shaunche

Exercise is a good natural antidepressant, I know it's not a supplement, but the same principle applies. You will trigger the release of feel-good chemicals in the brain without artificial drugs.

EthanWang

What you really need is some healthy stress-fighting foods (Foods that contain Folic acid , Vitamin B-12,C,E, mineral and selenium, etc..).The one that works best in my experience so far is fish oil, beside of eredicating depression it can also provide a lot of benefits to your health condition. Another important thing is to try avoiding food with high amount of sugar or some cofein-drink like coffee.Hope this helps.^^

Tecca_Nina

Another thing to consider is how bad the depression actually is. If it is clinical depression then unfortunately I don't think relying on natural ways will help.

srj

Try vitamin d supplements. Also staying in the sun gives you some vitamin d. Some foods are also high in vitamin d like carrots.