D Deficiency

rayne

My Doctor called after running some tests and told me that I had a vitamin D deficiency. She said to take a supplement of at least 1000 units a day. I never realized this would be the cause of my fatigue and aching bones but that's what it was.

peacenik

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about vitamin D deficiency on a lot of the health sites lately. The experts are saying that people aren't getting enough sun to make their own because of working too much or fear of skin cancer.

DixieMarie

I've heard similar about not getting enough sun and the sunscreen blocking it. I have been trying to get outside in the sun for about 15 or 20 minutes without sunscreen just to get my Vit. D. If I'm going to be out any longer though, I will put some on.

Sarah C.

I have a vitamin D deficiency as well and have to take a supplement.

I have started sitting out in the sun for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon in hopes of boosting my Vitamin D level naturally. Hopefully a combination of the 2 will help!

I have also heard that we absorb the sun through our nails and it acts as a natural antibiotic. I used to keep my nails painted, and I have started to keep them free of any paint, in hopes this will increase my health as well.

shaunche

Vitamin D is a critical vitamin and many people are deficient in vitamin D because we do not soak up enough sunlight, and the sun creams we use block the production of vitamin D. I supplement with vitamin D and lots of it!

It certainly doesn't help to live in a climate without a whole lot of direct sunlight. My doctor told me that 8 out of 10 people in New York are deficient. I can only imagine that it must be worse in Seattle and London.

Vitamin D is a great item to have. My neighbor who recovered from breast cancer was severely deficient in this item even though she drinks raw milk daily. To make it even worse a recent medical study she showed me reviewed how 90% of cancer patients in this study group were lacking in Vitamin D. Maybe the medical community is missing something with this vitamin, but for me bring on the sun and let me work in the garden to get this naturally!

Irma

There is more and more awarness about this. My husband had this deficiency but I don't. It took awhile, but after taking the supplement, he noticed a positive difference.

My doctor recently tested me for RA, lupus, and MS because I had almost constant fatigue and muscle and bone pain. She also checked the pain points for fibromyalgia. All those tests came back negative but she said my Vitamin D was low. I've been taking prescription strength Vitamin D for 8 weeks and the fatigue is much less but the pain is still as bad or even worse than before. I'm supposed to go back in about a month for a followup visit so I guess I'll see what she's says then.

dissn_it

I am not in Seattle but much farther inland where we don't get quite as much rain. I didn't know a lack of vitamin D could have this many effects on us. I think I will start spending more time outside just to increase my vitamin D!

BonnyC

I'm deficient in vitamin D and have to take a supplement. Getting out in the sunshine doesn't seem to help much, but I doubt I'm doing it often enough. I always sit by a window with a good amount of sun coming through during the afternoon just for a little extra. I haven't been tested in a couple of months, so it could be improving.

pattc

My husband was found to have a vitamin D deficiency, which was the cause of major fatigue. I thought men were not as apt to be vitamin deficienct as women. He was also deficient in iron, which resulted in severe anemia.

Plenty of sunlight and supplements should work. You can walk in the park or work in your garden (if you have one) to obtain vitamin D from the sun.

gina121

>>>"My Doctor called after running some tests and told me that I had a vitamin D deficiency. She said to take a supplement of at least 1000 units a day. I never realized this would be the cause of my fatigue and aching bones but that's what it was."
<<<<
Glad she caught it in a blood test. It usually goes undetected, leading to weaker bones and can even be a cause for early arthritis. You will see dramatic results with your fatigue and aching bones within a couple of weeks of taking a D3 supplement. The dose I take is rather high - 5000 units, but I take it just twice a week or so.
Try and get your doctor to arrange a bone density test too. This might throw up results of any early onset of arthritis, and the health of your joints

sandooch

So, rayne, have you noticed any improvement with your aches and pains since increasing your intake of vitamin D? I notice you haven't posted back here, but would love to know. I've increased my intake to 2000 iu daily for several health reasons.

shaunche

Plenty of sunlight and supplements should work. You can walk in the park or work in your garden (if you have one) to obtain vitamin D from the sun.
You don't need to supplement with vitamin D if you are soaking up plenty of sunlight. Around 30 minutes in the sun will suffice. People who life an outdoor lifestyle will not need to supplement with vitamin D, it would be surplus to requirements.

You've got to remember to take calcium with it though, the extra D will sap calcium from your bones and could contribute to osteoporosis. Makes you're you're not calcium deficient at the same time, otherwise you could face more problems in the future.

Basil Nut

I, too, have just started a supplement regiment with a prescription of Vitamin D because mine is so low. I stay on these for 10 weeks and then transition to something else. I'm going to also be spending more time in the sun. Since I started staying home to work and it's been so hot outside, I have stayed inside. Something's going to change a bit around here.

Kaybee517

My doctor discovered the same thing with me when I had my last physical. She said it was not not common is some African Americans to have vitamin D deficiency due to diet or lack of exposure in the sun. After all there is no need for me to "tan". She just prescribed a super vitamin D pill so get my levels back up to where they should be.

blossom730

You've got to remember to take calcium with it though, the extra D will sap calcium from your bones and could contribute to osteoporosis. Makes you're you're not calcium deficient at the same time, otherwise you could face more problems in the future.
I actually take a supplement with vitamin D and calcium in one. I thought that maybe one helped the other one to absorb better. I didn't realize that too much Vitamin D actually saps the calcium from your bones.