Cleaning with Peppermint Essential Oil

SoftRain

I add essential oil to my vinegar/water cleaning mixture and this time I tried peppermint, since it's supposed to also help keep bugs away. It's disconcerting; I associate peppermint so strongly with food that it's strange to smell it while I am cleaning.

Esperahol

Doesn't it get to be kind of overbearing? I don't know if I could deal with that smell being everywhere. Do you really dilute it or is it alright with you.

SoftRain

I think I would've been better to put fewer drops in my 32 oz bottle, because the smell was pretty strong. I've done that with other oils before, though, so that part is trial and error.

Esperahol

I think I would've been better to put fewer drops in my 32 oz bottle, because the smell was pretty strong. I've done that with other oils before, though, so that part is trial and error.
What other oils have you used and do you find that the kind you used has an effect on your mood during the day or whatever?

On some level, yeah I can see how that would be disconcerting, but it also sounds like it would be an invigorating thing to smell while you're cleaning. I mean, I always get tired while I'm cleaning, so I feel like the peppermint would help to counter that.

How quickly does the smell die away, though? It might be awkward trying to go to sleep in a room full of peppermint.

I'm told that lavender keeps bugs away, too. I think I would try that one first.

missnc35

Does it mask the vinegar smell? I was using vinegar to clean when I was pregnant because I was avoiding bleach, but the smell was horrific. I still use it to clean and get rid of ants in the home, but I can't use too much because of the smell. I'm wondering if peppermint can mask the smell or at least make it tolerable.

ssamcd

Since we are talking about cleaning does anyone have a home made recipe for washing down oak doors, trim, woodwork, furniture and tables. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I actually like the peppermint smell whether its in candy form or just the scent. Maybe you should try using less of it and play around with different amounts until you find what works for you.

Esperahol

Since we are talking about cleaning does anyone have a home made recipe for washing down oak doors, trim, woodwork, furniture and tables. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Anything with an oil base preferably something with citris - like orange or lemon. I prefer orange because it gives a nice shine.

Mix equal parts vinegar and olive oil and add a few drops of whatever essential oil you like. At least, that's what I do.