Cleaning the fridge

freshfoodie

I am trying to clean up our old refrigerator today because we got a new one. We don't need the old one anymore, but it's still in decent shape so we are going to toss it up on Craigslist and sell it. It hasn't been that long since it was cleaned last, but it is pretty messy for some reason.

SoftRain

It seems like fridges get messy very quickly. I just cleaned mine out last week as it was in sad shape. I love looking in the fridge now since it is so clean, but I know it won't last long.

Myrrh

Fridges do get messy quickly. I try to give ours a 'general cleaning' once a month. That means taking out all the food and the removable drawers and shelves so I can wipe all the spaces and corners.

Luvkenny

They do get really messy really quick! I cleaned mine (from top to bottom) less than a month ago and it looks like it could use another cleaning. I think it's because people in my family don't wipe up spills every time.

freshfoodie

Luvkenny, I think that is the problem we come across here. Things get spilled and forgotten about. I know that I am guilty of it myself sometimes. It looks pretty sparkly now though!

Aconite

Oh yes, we did ours recently and we used a ton of stuff to clean it. It's amazing what you find in the back of your fridge. One time I helped a roommate clean his fridge, he had stuff in there like ketchup from the 90's. I told him, you're gonna kill yourself!

SoftRain

Aconite, that reminds me of the time I cleaned out the fridge a week after hosting a large party. We'd had hamburgers and hot dogs so we put out ketchup and mustard. When I cleaned the fridge, I found out both condiments had expired a few months prior. Luckily no one got sick!

Aconite

I'm telling ya, it's crazy how busy we all get and forget to throw things out. Then I saw a news piece the other night about how Americans throw food away too soon. They were saying expiration dates are a mere guideline and not the end all be all date.