Bitter Melon Can Treat Diabetes

Koen

I personally like bitter melon (Momordica charantia, aka "bitter gourd") in the food I eat. It's nutritious.

But it seems there's more to bitter melon than just being nutritious. It is known to treat diabetes, for non-insulin dependent patients, that is. Drug stores will do great selling capsules or tablets of bitter melon.

blueaura

Wow, I have had this before. My family eats it, but I can't seem to get used to the taste. I don't mind having the leaves. It's nice to see there are so many benefits. But, I still don't think I could eat it. :)

skyheart

I don't mind bitter melon. I think it's an acquired taste. My grandmother grows them and makes something with it almost every week. It's interesting to know that it helps with diabetes.

Dreyfush

I like bitter melon and I like to take it raw or fried. Actually you can apply salt to bitter melon to take out the bitterness. It's great that we can use it to treat diabetes.

blueaura

I'll have to try that Dreyfush. I never thought about doing that. My family always boiled it, but I don't recall them adding seasonings or anything. Maybe a little salt is all it needs!

Maternal

Interesting. Do you think it is the bitterness that makes it beneficial for diabetes? Anyway, I like bitter melons also and normally I just boil or steam them.

Koen

There are ways of removing the bitterness in bitter melon. I just don't know at this point how exactly. But it involves soaking the sliced bitter melon in water with a few drops of a particular type of citrus.