Best culinary herb combinations

Trudy

I'm outlining a six by six foot square raised bed where I want to grow culinary herbs. Right now I've decided on basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, cilantro, dill, bay and peppermint. What am I leaving out that would go well in this garden?

I'm outlining a six by six foot square raised bed where I want to grow culinary herbs. Right now I've decided on basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, cilantro, dill, bay and peppermint. What am I leaving out that would go well in this garden?
That sounds like it will be an awesome garden! The only thing I would add is maybe spearmint, but it may not be necessary since you already have peppermint.

dissn_it

I would say to grow the herbs you cook with the most often. I have chives and french tarragon in addition to some of the other herbs you mentioned. We like having the chives on potatoes and salads. The french tarragon is really good with beef.

shaunche

You have covered most of the culinary herbs I use. Did you know cilantro is a powerful cleansing herb? It chelates heavy metals from your body. I love coriander! You could grow mint, marjoram and fennel as well.

rayne

How about some sage? I'm not sure about putting all those herbs in such a small area. Oregeno, sage and mint will spread out in a large way. Why don't you try planting some of those herbs around in your flower beds?

shaunche

How about some sage? I'm not sure about putting all those herbs in such a small area. Oregeno, sage and mint will spread out in a large way. Why don't you try planting some of those herbs around in your flower beds?
How could we have forgot sage? Good call. I like sage, it goes well with squash and pork. One of my favourite meals is to cook squash, apples, and pork with sage and cinnamon.

I believe you have the best line up of herbs already but don't forget cilantro or coriander. They are considered a powerful anti-oxidant and any food seasoned with this herb aren't easily get spoiled. :)

Hickorycottage

I would definitely grow garlic and sage. I hardly ever cook without garlic. It's so good in everything. Sage is also another great, versatile herb. Use it in your sausage, chicken dishes, etc. Fresh sage is so wonderful.