Aromatherapy and Perfume mixing techniques

Greenwoman

I am new to both, and I only know of what scents I like. I don't understand about how scents work to place you in a different frame of mind, like why the scent of lavender is relaxing. I also don't know how to tell any of the notes in perfume. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Haha, I don't know either! I just mix what I think I'll like, and if I don't like it, I try something else. I personally like mixing something sweet with something rough, like lavender with patchouli or jasmine with musk.

Greenwoman

I always find it incredibly challenging to mix fragrances with lavender because I love the lavender scent as it is. I tend to make more fruity scents with citrus sage.

gina121

If I'm adding essential oils to a night cream, I usually opt for a combination of lavender, ylang ylang, sandalwood and/or frankincense. Now, I will not use some of these oils during the day for obvious reasons. I have a handbook of essential oils that tell me which oil can have what kind of effect on the senses. You can find this on the internet too. This will help you avoid using invigorating oils at night time.