Any one here have a "Hiatal Hernia"?

AppleMay

If so, what did you do about it? Did the doctor suggest surgery? I fear I have one and it's been hurting for a while now. Just not sure what if anything can be done about it?

gina121

I don't have it, nor have I heard of anyone who's got it, but while looking up the uses of 'marshmallow root' (after reading another thread on it) I read that this herb is used to treat hiatus hernia, if that is of any help!

leyash

This would be interesting to know. I am definitely not sure that I have one, as I have not been diagnosed, but from my understanding, it is possible.

AppleMay

I haven't heard of marshmallow root being of help for a hernia. I'll have to check into this a little more to see how it works and what you need to do.

shaunche

25% of men will incur a hernia at some point in their lives, it is a very common injury and one of the most common surgical procedures. A hernia must be surgically repaired or it will gradually worsen and you will be left with a big scar when you eventually do resort to surgery. There is also the risk of it becoming strangulated, a potentially life threatening condition.

My advice would be to consult a doctor, find out if it is a hernia and have it operated on ASAP.

Nina

My mother had one and couldn't eat things like lettuce. She never did have an operation on it, but she was a nurse and knew what to do. She was also with doctors every day, so she must have at least talked about it. She ended up with throat cancer from smoking and eventually died, but I don't think it was related to the hernia issue. Mostly, that was just bothersome for her, and then the real problem hit.

Carolynn

I had surgery for a hernia last November. Mine was due to stretching and pulling abdominal muscles from being pregnant with my son. The doctor I saw recommended surgery because it would just get worse and could become life threatening. The surgery only took half and hour and I was home the same day. The worst part was the recovery and not being able to lift anything over 5 lbs for 6 weeks.

artistry

I do not have one, but I knew someone who had one. I think that you have to very carefully watch your diet, the blander the better.