All it takes to witness America’s obsession with aging is spending a few minutes flipping through a magazine. Anti-aging creams, pills, and surgeries have never been so popular. Natural living enthusiasts tend to look at this issue from another angle. While aging is inevitable, and certainly nothing to be feared, there is no reason not to do it with grace and health. The following herbs are well known for their ability to keep you young, inside and out.
1. Ginseng. Ginseng root is well known for its invigorating effects, but it has other health benefits as well. It also reduces both cholesterol and blood sugar, as well as stimulating the brain and muscles. Ginseng will not just keep crow’s feet at bay, it will also keep your mind and your circulatory system in good working order. Isn’t that just as important?
2. Grape Seed Extract. Grape seed extract is a so-called ‘healthy fat’ that keeps you young on a cellular level. First, it has bioflavonoids and antioxidants that prevent cells from aging (including cells in your skin and face). It also has biochemical properties that protect collagen, which keeps skin and joints youthful. Last, grape seed extract has been shown to improve blood flow, which contributes to youthful energy and resilience all over the human body. A multitude of anti-aging benefits makes this a “must have” in your anti-aging arsenal.
3. Reishi Mushroom. Also known as ling zhi, this Chinese mushroom comes in several colors, with red being the most available one. It has been taken as an anti-aging and health-stimulating herb in China for thousands of years and continues to be used throughout Asia with much success. Not only will reishi mushroom reduce the visible effects of aging, it also can be effective at preventing and treating liver disease, diabetes, and chronic pain. With such a long history of use, there are no worries about side effects or toxicity.
4. Goji Berry. At the very heart of aging, there is one main culprit: the breakdown and mutation of DNA. Once mutations occur, they will be copied over and over. Over time, there are more and more mutations, eventually meaning that our bodies no longer work the way they used to. Goji berry gets to the main problem. This herbal remedy has been shown to protect DNA, preventing mutations and misreading. It also functions as a powerful anti-oxidant, preventing cancer and aging in the same fell swoop. That means fewer wrinkles and a lower risk of terminal disease. If you only take one anti-aging product, you should consider this for your one-and-only.
5. Gingko Biloba. What good is a beautiful face and strong muscles if your brain has turned to mush? Gingko biloba is an anti-aging herb that keeps your brain young. There is a significant body of scientific research that suggests gingko biloba not only improves blood flow to the brain, but also helps turn back the clock in patients with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia. Because it generally improves blood flow, it will help keep wrinkles at bay as well. You’ll be able to enjoy your lasting health and beauty with the help of this anti-aging herb.
As you can see, Mother Nature has just as much to offer as your local department store makeup counter when it comes to living a long, healthy, and beautiful life. While aging is inevitable, you can make the process as slow and gentle as possible with the help of these natural remedies.