Many people consume a diet that includes a great deal of fried and highly processed foods. These foods not only have very little to offer the body nutritionally, but they can cause the colon to become littered with undigested food particles, fecal matter, and a build-up of waste. This waste build-up in the colon can cause a range of digestive problems, fatigue, lowered immune system function, and a decrease in overall health. This is why it is important to be sure to periodically cleanse the colon to free it from waste build-up and to ensure proper health and digestive function.
Six Important Colon Cleansing Herbs
1. Psyllium: Psyllium is an herb that provides the body with a great source of fiber. The fiber provided in Psyllium seeds is a kind of fiber known as mucilage. When mucilage comes into contact with water, it absorbs the water, causing the mucilage to expand. The expanded mucilage makes stools larger, which actually causes an increase in bowel movements. In addition to providing fiber and increasing bowel movements, Psyllium also helps the lining of the intestinal walls become stronger. This improves the overall health of the digestive tract, while effectively helping to cleanse the colon. Psyllium is generally taken once to three times daily, and must be consumed with a large amount of water in order to allow for proper absorption and hydration.
2. Cascara Sagrada: Cascara Sagrada is commonly used in most popular colon cleansing products. Cascara Sagrada works to increase the strength of the muscles lining the colon and also works as a laxative. When the muscles of the colon are made stronger, many people find that they are relived of constipation and are able to pass bowel movements with increased ease. Additionally, Cascara Sagrada improves liver function. This is because Cascara Sagrada stimulates the liver into producing an increased amount of bile, which helps the liver eliminate a larger amount of toxins from the body. Because Cascara Sagrada works as a laxative, it is best if taken with a fiber supplement, as well as an adequate amount of water.
3. Senna: Senna is a powerful herbal laxative that works quickly in the body to provide the intended results. Therefore, Senna should only be taken when the consumer has an adequate amount of downtime, as to avoid any embarrassing or inconvenient situations. Senna causes peristaltic contractions in the colon, which works to stimulate bowel movements and cleanse the colon.
4. Rhubarb: Rhubarb stimulates bowel movements, while working to decrease any inflammation in the colon. Rhubarb also helps to stop diarrhea and relive users of other digestive discomforts. Rhubarb will cause the consumer to have a bowel movement anywhere from 6 hours to 12 hours after it is taken, which should be taken into consideration before consumption.
5. Dandelion: Dandelion is also very commonly included in popular colon cleansing products and helps to cleanse the colon, as well as improve the health of other bodily systems. Dandelion also increases the liver’s production of bile, and therefore, enhances the liver’s ability to eliminate toxins from the body. Dandelion also helps to reduce bloating and relieve the body of a range of gastrointestinal problems.
6. Fennel Seed: Fennel seed is a great source of the mucilage type of fiber. Therefore, fennel seed also increases the bulk and frequency of bowel movements, while working to cleanse the colon. Fennel Seed must be consumed with an adequate amount of water, as to properly work without dehydrating the body. However, fennel seed is quite potent and should not be used by young children or for a prolonged period of time.